Bobcat 753 brake not working

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jtzako

I have a Bobcat 753 with a non-functional parking brake. This bobcat came with the property I bought so I dont know how long ago the brake last worked. The bobcat will roll, drive etc no matter which position the brake pedal is in. I'm wondering how to figure out what is causing it to fail to engage. I see it has a button/solenoid type of thing that is depressed when the pedal is in the fully up position. Is that what engages the actual brake or is there more to it?

Tazza

Staff member
It's possible they had an issue with the brake, so they removed it.
If you lift the cab, on the top of the chain case there is a coil, this pulls a wedge up inside the chaincase to unlock the brake. You'll need to open it up and see what is mizzing or what has been by-passed. I ave heard of the brake being disabled with a hose clamp before.

OP
OP
J

jtzako

It's possible they had an issue with the brake, so they removed it.
If you lift the cab, on the top of the chain case there is a coil, this pulls a wedge up inside the chaincase to unlock the brake. You'll need to open it up and see what is mizzing or what has been by-passed. I ave heard of the brake being disabled with a hose clamp before.
I found a blown 25amp fuse but replacing it did not help get the brake working. This is what I see with the cab up. I dont see anything missing/disconnected. https://imgur.com/a/Fk3Ffuk

OP
OP
J

jtzako

I found a blown 25amp fuse but replacing it did not help get the brake working. This is what I see with the cab up. I dont see anything missing/disconnected. https://imgur.com/a/Fk3Ffuk
Forgot to note: that one plug near the hydraulic is the plug for the solenoid on the brake pedal. I was connected before I took it out to check if the solenoid was working.

Tazza

Staff member
Forgot to note: that one plug near the hydraulic is the plug for the solenoid on the brake pedal. I was connected before I took it out to check if the solenoid was working.
That link didn;t work for me, if you look up my profile, grab my email and send me the pictures.

Tazza

Staff member
That link didn;t work for me, if you look up my profile, grab my email and send me the pictures.
Got your email with the picture.
Looks like the solenoid is still there, the big connector with red, white black wires.
If you remove this, you will see a plunger that the coil pulls up, when up, the wedge does not stop the wheels from moveing, when down, it locks them up. Some times people install a hose clamp around the rod to stop it going down and locking the wheels.
If you use a multi meter or test light on the solenoid wires, between black and white and black and red, when you turn the brake switch on, you should get a momentary power to one set, and the other shoudl stay on. One is pull, the other is hold. The pull coil is high power and can't stay running or it will burn the coil out. These coils do go bad over time and with age, it's possible it failed and the previous owner just disabled it.
It gives you somewhere to start.

OP
OP
J

jtzako

Got your email with the picture.
Looks like the solenoid is still there, the big connector with red, white black wires.
If you remove this, you will see a plunger that the coil pulls up, when up, the wedge does not stop the wheels from moveing, when down, it locks them up. Some times people install a hose clamp around the rod to stop it going down and locking the wheels.
If you use a multi meter or test light on the solenoid wires, between black and white and black and red, when you turn the brake switch on, you should get a momentary power to one set, and the other shoudl stay on. One is pull, the other is hold. The pull coil is high power and can't stay running or it will burn the coil out. These coils do go bad over time and with age, it's possible it failed and the previous owner just disabled it.
It gives you somewhere to start.
Thanks for the help. I'll try and test it to see if it is bad or disabled.

Latest posts