Bobcat 743ds fuel supply problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

brambleberry

I've had my '91 743ds at a local mechanic the last few months to work on a number of issues that I've never been able to figure out. He has taken care of a number of things, but has not been able to figure out a fuel supply issue that makes it incredibly hard to start the engine. Thought that someone here might have an idea or two of what's going on so we can move forward to fixing it. I've been really missing having it around the farm to move materials! It's got the Kubota 4 cyl diesel.

Ever since I bought it a few years ago, it has taken a long time of cranking to finally catch and run. Loads of black smoke, a few catches here and there but especially if it's cold, I end up having to use a jump pack to keep cranking. I also worry about burning up the starter motor, it was the only thing new that the guy had put on it when I bought the machine :)

Once it catches, it runs very strong and totally clear exhaust. I've used it for hours and had no problems. There is a lot of blowby that you can see hissing out the drain tube coming off the head, always oily residue there under that tube. But since the machine has had no problems with power, I assume the compression is still good enough that I don't need to dig into rings, cylinders or pistons.

I assumed that the problem was a number of small leaks in the fuel supply line, letting air bubbles creep in as it sat, and then having to push those through during the cranking. There is a good priming bulb, and the little brass knob that opens to let fuel cycle past the injectors works. The mechanic found a few cracks and pinches in the fuel hose coming out of the tank, and fixed those along with seeps in the fittings of the lines to the injector pump. The other day when I went to pick up the machine, it was pretty chilly and we could not for the life uf us get it to start. Lots of black smoke, so fuel (or was that crankcase oil???) was getting into the engine. We put in a little in-line filter to be able to see that there's airless fuel going to the lift pump etc, he had the battery hooked up to a big engine start charger, even used some starting fluid, but nothing at at all, not even any catches. Since then, we've just kept it parked and I've been meaning to ask on this forum to figure out a path forward.

The mechanic's best guess is that the injector pump is very worn, which is throwing the timing off just enough to make it hard to start. Lower cranking rpms, slightly off timing would really make problems, but once it catches and rpms increase a lot, maybe the timing being off doesn't show up much at all. So the next step there would be pulling the pump and taking it to a local place in Seymour IN that rebuilds diesel injection pumps. Or maybe trying to find a good used pump somewhere.

But I'm not quite ready to go down that road yet until I hear a bunch of other people's thoughts on this. Maybe it's a larger problem, and not worth putting any more money into? Maybe a smaller problem, and we're just missing something?

Any help is much appreciated!

TIA

plrngr2200

Does it consume any oil when its running? I could be wrong but lots of blowby, hard starting, and black smoke definitely sounds like worn rings to me

OP
OP
B

brambleberry

The glow plugs are working, and yes it uses oil and there has to be worn rings with all the blowby. But I haven't planned to dig into rebuilds since it has plenty of power. If the rings were worn to the point of low power, I'd definitely consider it. Everyone I've talked to says that some blowby is pretty normal for old diesels, that even brand new diesel engines can start having blowby out of the factory.

This machine has unknown hours, the meter was stopped at 1200 when I got it, but it's obvious that it's got 3x that or more from the overall condition.

OP
OP
B

brambleberry

I'd think that black smoke would continue the whole time it's running if there was excessive blowby but the smoke is really clear as soon as it catches

foton

I guess at this point do a compression test , that will give you a good reference point on the condition of the engine.

Markle

Brambleberry, i would prove to myself the glow plugs are working, by removing each, one at a time, grounding the one removed with a jumper wire, then hit the key to the glow heat position. If you have done this, great. if you just test for 12v to the plugs, and you have 12 v on the meter, that doesn't mean each glow plug is heating . And the compression test as foton advises would be my next step. I don't think you mentioned a fuel filter..didn't these have the glass bowl/filter unit? My musings as you requested.

North Idaho Wolfman

I've had my '91 743ds at a local mechanic the last few months to work on a number of issues that I've never been able to figure out. He has taken care of a number of things, but has not been able to figure out a fuel supply issue that makes it incredibly hard to start the engine. Thought that someone here might have an idea or two of what's going on so we can move forward to fixing it. I've been really missing having it around the farm to move materials! It's got the Kubota 4 cyl diesel.

Ever since I bought it a few years ago, it has taken a long time of cranking to finally catch and run. Loads of black smoke, a few catches here and there but especially if it's cold, I end up having to use a jump pack to keep cranking. I also worry about burning up the starter motor, it was the only thing new that the guy had put on it when I bought the machine :)

Once it catches, it runs very strong and totally clear exhaust. I've used it for hours and had no problems. There is a lot of blowby that you can see hissing out the drain tube coming off the head, always oily residue there under that tube. But since the machine has had no problems with power, I assume the compression is still good enough that I don't need to dig into rings, cylinders or pistons.

I assumed that the problem was a number of small leaks in the fuel supply line, letting air bubbles creep in as it sat, and then having to push those through during the cranking. There is a good priming bulb, and the little brass knob that opens to let fuel cycle past the injectors works. The mechanic found a few cracks and pinches in the fuel hose coming out of the tank, and fixed those along with seeps in the fittings of the lines to the injector pump. The other day when I went to pick up the machine, it was pretty chilly and we could not for the life uf us get it to start. Lots of black smoke, so fuel (or was that crankcase oil???) was getting into the engine. We put in a little in-line filter to be able to see that there's airless fuel going to the lift pump etc, he had the battery hooked up to a big engine start charger, even used some starting fluid, but nothing at at all, not even any catches. Since then, we've just kept it parked and I've been meaning to ask on this forum to figure out a path forward.

The mechanic's best guess is that the injector pump is very worn, which is throwing the timing off just enough to make it hard to start. Lower cranking rpms, slightly off timing would really make problems, but once it catches and rpms increase a lot, maybe the timing being off doesn't show up much at all. So the next step there would be pulling the pump and taking it to a local place in Seymour IN that rebuilds diesel injection pumps. Or maybe trying to find a good used pump somewhere.

But I'm not quite ready to go down that road yet until I hear a bunch of other people's thoughts on this. Maybe it's a larger problem, and not worth putting any more money into? Maybe a smaller problem, and we're just missing something?

Any help is much appreciated!

TIA

Quite simply the motor needs rebuilt!
I would find a competent mechanic, because the one you are using is not that, why do I say that?
Because anyone that knows Kubota engines knows NEVER and again NEVER use starting fluid on these engines.
States it in every manual ever put out for these.

What you started with is an engine with low compression, it can't build enough compression till it warms up enough to fire, that was happening when you spin it enough and the compression would rise and heat would rise and then it would fire.

Then you took it to a mechanic that didn't know the first thing you do with these engines is test the compression.
Then he opened up the fuel system, replacing lines, and induced air into the system and didn't property bled it off thus it wouldn't start.
Then starter fluid was used on it and more than likely did even more damage to the engine.
Starter fluid only does one of four things to these engines, it breaks the lands on pistons, cracks the pistons, breaks the rings, or more commonly bends the connecting rods!
All of which lowers the compression even more than you started with!

Pull compression (dry) on all the cylinders, I'll bet you they are well below the threshold!
Report back what you find.

And you'll be quite surprised at the power that is actually lost with low compression.

If your sitting there questioning this knowledge on this engines issue, look in any Kubota WSM (aka service manual) or Pop over to Orange Tractor Talks, (It's a Kubota forum) and post your original post on there.
You'll hear everything I've said repeated over and over again, there is quite a few quality Kubota mechanics on there.

OP
OP
B

brambleberry

Quite simply the motor needs rebuilt!
I would find a competent mechanic, because the one you are using is not that, why do I say that?
Because anyone that knows Kubota engines knows NEVER and again NEVER use starting fluid on these engines.
States it in every manual ever put out for these.

What you started with is an engine with low compression, it can't build enough compression till it warms up enough to fire, that was happening when you spin it enough and the compression would rise and heat would rise and then it would fire.

Then you took it to a mechanic that didn't know the first thing you do with these engines is test the compression.
Then he opened up the fuel system, replacing lines, and induced air into the system and didn't property bled it off thus it wouldn't start.
Then starter fluid was used on it and more than likely did even more damage to the engine.
Starter fluid only does one of four things to these engines, it breaks the lands on pistons, cracks the pistons, breaks the rings, or more commonly bends the connecting rods!
All of which lowers the compression even more than you started with!

Pull compression (dry) on all the cylinders, I'll bet you they are well below the threshold!
Report back what you find.

And you'll be quite surprised at the power that is actually lost with low compression.

If your sitting there questioning this knowledge on this engines issue, look in any Kubota WSM (aka service manual) or Pop over to Orange Tractor Talks, (It's a Kubota forum) and post your original post on there.
You'll hear everything I've said repeated over and over again, there is quite a few quality Kubota mechanics on there.
Thank you for these specifics to look into. I've always avoided starting fluid for diesels, and questioned this mechanic on why he used it, and he said something about making sure to use a certain type of starting fluid for diesels and being careful with it.

I am glad to have some directives to go through to see what's going on in the larger picture now. Your explanation of the reason it's hard to start and then runs fine is the first I've heard that, and it is nice to have an alternative to the best story I've had of simply timing being off from the injector pump.

One further question for you: I know you say that I'd be surprised at power loss from low compression, but if the engine is as shot as you say it is, why has the machine had no trouble lifting things that tip it over, moving loads of logs up hills, etc? Is it just because it's way overpowered for the body and hydraulic capacity of the machine? I'm just trying to get a grasp on the overall picture of engine-to-machine dynamics here. ..

Thanks again