Bobcat 743 wont start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Back a while ago i bought a fixer upper of a bobcat. I painted it new tires and all but i cant get it to start. I put in a new battery check the fuses and still nothing. The lights on the pannel dont light up the volt meter dose not move. I looked over the wire harness and it looks ok. I don't know what to look at next. There is power at the fuses. What could it be?

Tazza

Staff member
Ok, the connectors where the 2 harnesses join is a common point for them to break. You may need to splice in a wire between both sides to get main power. You can use a wire and get the machine to start to ensure it does indeed work. Silly question as there is power at the fuses, have you checked them? if you have power there your volt, fuel and temp gauges should spring to life.
Let me know what other info you need, i have 2 of these machines at home so i can give you whatever info you require.

Fishfiles

I would try and jump the starter at the solinoid with a piece of wire or a screw driver to see if the problem is the starter or in the wiring going to it , once the starter is eliminated fron the senirio , then a test light on the wire that starts the machine at the solinoid while someone is turning the key to see if voltage is getting to the solinoid ------ most probable causes , battery condition , a solinoid bad , bad battery connections , starter relay , wiring issue , key switch

Tazza

Staff member
I would try and jump the starter at the solinoid with a piece of wire or a screw driver to see if the problem is the starter or in the wiring going to it , once the starter is eliminated fron the senirio , then a test light on the wire that starts the machine at the solinoid while someone is turning the key to see if voltage is getting to the solinoid ------ most probable causes , battery condition , a solinoid bad , bad battery connections , starter relay , wiring issue , key switch
Ahh yes, key switch! as you did say there was no life from the gauges its another spot to look. I'd make sure it starts if you jump it direct to the starter then you know its wiring somewhere.

OP
OP
Z
Ahh yes, key switch! as you did say there was no life from the gauges its another spot to look. I'd make sure it starts if you jump it direct to the starter then you know its wiring somewhere.
I figured out what the problem was but there is still one problem left. The fuse holders were gunked up preaty badly there was power going into the fuse but none coming out. So i changed out the fuse holder and what do you know everything works. Lights all the gages everything works. But when i go and try to start the bobcat all it does is click over and over. I check the battery its at full charge and putting out 12.5 volts. So the next thing i did was swap the starter out with one from my other 743 (which starts) and still the same click click sound. Could this be a bad wire conection some where? or is it something else.

sterlclan

I figured out what the problem was but there is still one problem left. The fuse holders were gunked up preaty badly there was power going into the fuse but none coming out. So i changed out the fuse holder and what do you know everything works. Lights all the gages everything works. But when i go and try to start the bobcat all it does is click over and over. I check the battery its at full charge and putting out 12.5 volts. So the next thing i did was swap the starter out with one from my other 743 (which starts) and still the same click click sound. Could this be a bad wire conection some where? or is it something else.
check all the ground wires and check the battery cables Ive seen them go green inside the rubber low voltage will make it click.....Jeff

skidsteer.ca

check all the ground wires and check the battery cables Ive seen them go green inside the rubber low voltage will make it click.....Jeff
low voltage to the starter or solinoid,
Could be bad power or ground cables, Take your boaster and use them to dupilcate the battery cables to the starter and see if anything changes.
Could be a bad battery
Worn starter solinoid. Usually these slowly go down hill, click a time or two then cranks, and steadly gets worse
If you have a helper have them check the voltage at various places while you try to start the machine. Battery, at the starter, solinoid etc. Anything under 11 volts while cranking is pretty marginal.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
low voltage to the starter or solinoid,
Could be bad power or ground cables, Take your boaster and use them to dupilcate the battery cables to the starter and see if anything changes.
Could be a bad battery
Worn starter solinoid. Usually these slowly go down hill, click a time or two then cranks, and steadly gets worse
If you have a helper have them check the voltage at various places while you try to start the machine. Battery, at the starter, solinoid etc. Anything under 11 volts while cranking is pretty marginal.
Ken
I agree with ken, ensure the battery is good. 12v at the terminals means nothing. You need to load it down. Even under high load the voltage should be close to 12v still. If that still fails try and start it and then feel the connections at the battery and starter. If they are hot thats where your problem is, you have a high resistance causing heat instead of allowing all the power get through. Try jumping the starter by putting 12V in the small connector just below where the main +ve cable connects to from the battery. This will by-pass the main starter relay, if it cranks fine its your starter relay under the air cleaner, next to the glow relay.
99% of the time it is the battery when it clicks. The relay closes and completes the circuit but the battery doesn't have the power to hold the contact shut so it releases, then power comes back due to no load then the relay closes again then the load makes it open. This repeats making a fast clicking sound. Once you have heard it you know its a flat or worn out battery.
I hope that helps