Bobcat 743 specifications

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

brich

I bought a used 743 but no manual. If anybody can help me on the maintenance specs such and fluid capacities and filter numbers etc. it would be appreciated... Also the dip stick shows a mark towards the bottom , then a set of numbers, and another mark above those numbers. I changed oil and put in 10-30 up to the bottom mark which was about 5 1/2 qts but is this enough??

Tazza

Staff member
The engine oil MUST be diesel engine grade, not just standard automotive 10W30. Diesel engine oil has detergents to keep the engine clean.
The oil level should be at the top mark, above where the numbers are stamped. The entire engine holds about 9 litres.
As for filter numbers, i will have to check on that when i get home, i just need to remember!
Both the engine and hydraulic filters are available after market, BUT the price of these from Bobcat are pretty good. You can get cheap filters for the engine and hydraulics but is it really worth the risk of destroying anything for a few dollars?

pondfishr

I just purchased engine Bobcat engine oil and a filter. 8 - Quarts of Bobcat Oil part # IRB-6903107 Unit Price 6.14 each USD 1 - Bobcat Oil Filter part # IRB-6675517 Unit Price 6.92 each USD Other Specifications 743 & 743DS Engine Kubota V1702-BA 36HP 2800RPM Cooling System 13qts 12.3L Fuel 13gal. 49L Engine Lubrication W/Filter 9qts 8.5L Hydraulic/Hydrostatic System 6 gal. 22.7L includes 3.5gal 13.2L reservoir 11GPM 42L/min @ 2850 RPM Chaincase Reservoir 32qts 30.3L

JD4440

I just purchased engine Bobcat engine oil and a filter. 8 - Quarts of Bobcat Oil part # IRB-6903107 Unit Price 6.14 each USD 1 - Bobcat Oil Filter part # IRB-6675517 Unit Price 6.92 each USD Other Specifications 743 & 743DS Engine Kubota V1702-BA 36HP 2800RPM Cooling System 13qts 12.3L Fuel 13gal. 49L Engine Lubrication W/Filter 9qts 8.5L Hydraulic/Hydrostatic System 6 gal. 22.7L includes 3.5gal 13.2L reservoir 11GPM 42L/min @ 2850 RPM Chaincase Reservoir 32qts 30.3L
I'm working on getting this 743 at the farm back to the best it can be. Thanks for the specs pondfishr ! My question is what's the specs on the fluids ? I know I need the green coolant to change that out. OP mentioned 10-30 , I use 15-40 in our S185 does this one not need the same? They're both Kubota diesels. I see where the newer ones use orange hyd fluid but what does this one use ? what do I use in the chaincase? Thanks, Chris.

Tazza

Staff member
I'm working on getting this 743 at the farm back to the best it can be. Thanks for the specs pondfishr ! My question is what's the specs on the fluids ? I know I need the green coolant to change that out. OP mentioned 10-30 , I use 15-40 in our S185 does this one not need the same? They're both Kubota diesels. I see where the newer ones use orange hyd fluid but what does this one use ? what do I use in the chaincase? Thanks, Chris.
You can run any coolant that is rated for your climate, just make sure all the old one is out as different types/brands do not play nice with each other. This may involve flushing it a few times.
15W40 engine oil is correct, i believe this is what Kubota recommend on all their diesels. Chain case oil i use 20W50 engine oil, but depending on your climate, you may need to go thinner. If it gets really cold, the oil goes like honey so you may need something a little lighter. Its only lubricating axle bearings that are rotating at low speeds, chains and gear box bearings and sprockets.

JD4440

You can run any coolant that is rated for your climate, just make sure all the old one is out as different types/brands do not play nice with each other. This may involve flushing it a few times.
15W40 engine oil is correct, i believe this is what Kubota recommend on all their diesels. Chain case oil i use 20W50 engine oil, but depending on your climate, you may need to go thinner. If it gets really cold, the oil goes like honey so you may need something a little lighter. Its only lubricating axle bearings that are rotating at low speeds, chains and gear box bearings and sprockets.
Thank you. What about the hyd. oil ? Also, can you please delete my avatar. I've tried with no luck, thank you again.

Tazza

Staff member
Thank you. What about the hyd. oil ? Also, can you please delete my avatar. I've tried with no luck, thank you again.
Sorry, i don't have access to that area, i can't delete avatars.
Hydraulic oil..... This area has been covered so many times. Some say use engine oil, some say hydraulic. Different areas get colder than others. I personally use 20W40 engine oil (really cheap when on sale), i have never had any issues. I live in Brisbane, Australia. It never gets below freezing here so the oil is never too thick. If you are in an area that does get cold, i'd recommend going lighter, some use AW46 hydraulic oil in the colder areas or even synthetic, but that will cost you a lot!
When the 743 was first sold over here, the dealer used and recommended castrol RX super, its a diesel engine grade oil, 15W40. They have then moved on to their special blend, possibly its better, but its a way to charge a lot more for an oil that does the exact same job.
Its really up to you. You can try the thicker oil and see how you go. On cold starts, you are meant to let it sit and warm up, this will thin the oil out. The manual even recommends activating the aux hydraulics to get the oil to go over the relief to warm it even faster.
Sorry that i can't give you a specific oil to use, it depends on so many factors. I know what works over here, and i'll stick with using it.

JD4440

Sorry, i don't have access to that area, i can't delete avatars.
Hydraulic oil..... This area has been covered so many times. Some say use engine oil, some say hydraulic. Different areas get colder than others. I personally use 20W40 engine oil (really cheap when on sale), i have never had any issues. I live in Brisbane, Australia. It never gets below freezing here so the oil is never too thick. If you are in an area that does get cold, i'd recommend going lighter, some use AW46 hydraulic oil in the colder areas or even synthetic, but that will cost you a lot!
When the 743 was first sold over here, the dealer used and recommended castrol RX super, its a diesel engine grade oil, 15W40. They have then moved on to their special blend, possibly its better, but its a way to charge a lot more for an oil that does the exact same job.
Its really up to you. You can try the thicker oil and see how you go. On cold starts, you are meant to let it sit and warm up, this will thin the oil out. The manual even recommends activating the aux hydraulics to get the oil to go over the relief to warm it even faster.
Sorry that i can't give you a specific oil to use, it depends on so many factors. I know what works over here, and i'll stick with using it.
Yea I had forgotten I asked you once before about the avatar, it's aggravating. It gets as cold as the low teens here some years. 5-10 deg once and again but I won't be on a bobcat at that temp anyway haha. Most likely it has aw46 hyd oil in it if there's ever been any added to it. They're not ones to know about specialized (bobcat orange fluid) around here. I guess I'll just change the filter and see what the fluid looks like. Thanks.

Fishfiles

Yea I had forgotten I asked you once before about the avatar, it's aggravating. It gets as cold as the low teens here some years. 5-10 deg once and again but I won't be on a bobcat at that temp anyway haha. Most likely it has aw46 hyd oil in it if there's ever been any added to it. They're not ones to know about specialized (bobcat orange fluid) around here. I guess I'll just change the filter and see what the fluid looks like. Thanks.
years ago Bobcat was 100 hour oil change intervals , since then they up'ed it to 250 , you are ok at 250 if you use good quaility oil like Shell Rotella 15/40 , which I think is the best , if you want to add some extra protection add a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer at each oil change , I really believe in Lucas and use it in my trucks ------off the top my head the filter numbers in Napa should be , 2222 outer air , 2769 inner air , 1068 oil , 3166 fuel , Wix and Baldwin would add a number in front of Napa like 51068 oil , the OEM number that someone posted up above will cross over in a Napa book

JD4440

years ago Bobcat was 100 hour oil change intervals , since then they up'ed it to 250 , you are ok at 250 if you use good quaility oil like Shell Rotella 15/40 , which I think is the best , if you want to add some extra protection add a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer at each oil change , I really believe in Lucas and use it in my trucks ------off the top my head the filter numbers in Napa should be , 2222 outer air , 2769 inner air , 1068 oil , 3166 fuel , Wix and Baldwin would add a number in front of Napa like 51068 oil , the OEM number that someone posted up above will cross over in a Napa book
As little as I use it I'll go with 150-200 maybe, suppose to do it yearly anyway I guess. I have all my filters now just have to round up the fluids. I haven't looked yet but is there a place here or elsewhere to download free owners manuals ?

Tazza

Staff member
As little as I use it I'll go with 150-200 maybe, suppose to do it yearly anyway I guess. I have all my filters now just have to round up the fluids. I haven't looked yet but is there a place here or elsewhere to download free owners manuals ?
Look the profile of OldMachinst and send him and email and a nicely worded request :) i'm sure he will be able to give you a link to it.