Bobcat 743 skid steer help - water pump issue?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mousebob

I need some help with my bobcat 743 with Kubota diesel. While working the machine pretty hard this last few days, a belt started squealing. This was coupled with loss of power. I pulled the belt shield and found that the gear I am pointing at with an arrow is not turning. The belt was going over this fear but the gear itself would not turn causing friction, squealing, and heat/smoking where it rubs.

Is this supposed to turn?

Is this the water pump?

My belt looks to be in good shape.

I do have the service manual - would the repair be replacing the water pump?

If so, how hard of a job is this?

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20220626_145632479~2.jpg
    PXL_20220626_145632479~2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 157

foton

get you a new pump and gasket the repair is easy, I would only run for very breif periods if you must move it, do not overheat the engine! I would suggest if you wish to rebuild that pump ( if you have the know how) and keep as a spare.

Tazza

Staff member
Yep, that's your water pump, they are easily to replace at least.

ghs57

I did this repair recently on my Kubota V-1902. Pretty easy, except that the bolts can seize in the housing, then snap off when you turn them. Be careful! Might want to heat them first. This happened with two of them on mine, so I welded nuts on the broken studs and got them out that way. Also, the bolts are different lengths, so keep track of which one goes where-which is pretty easy to do. Aftermarket parts are under $50 (Kumar Bros), but if you want Kubota, you will pay. I noticed a slight difference in the shape of the lower part of the pump housing between different suppliers-possibly for different variants of the engine, so check that the new one matches your old one. I used a sealer on the gasket.

OP
OP
M

mousebob

Thank you for all of the replies. Does the coolant need to be drained to replace the water pump ?

OP
OP
M

mousebob

Thanks again for the help. Flushed the coolant and replaced the water pump and pulley. Not too bad of a job. My gasket was baked on so scraping it off was the hardest part.