Bobcat 743 drive motor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bobcat743Help

Hey guys a have a bobcat 743 that lost all drive power to the right side a couple weeks ago. I finally got some time to take it apart today and when I opened it up I saw that the coupler that connects the little short shaft and the longer shaft was split into in 2 pieces with a bunch of hairline cracks down a most of the other sides too. I also saw that there was a good amount of wear on the plates that are on top and below the rolling pins. I was wondering if it would just be best to go find a new refurbished motor or if there was somewhere I could buy a new coupler and just smooth down the plates? One other thing I was wondering was if I did buy a new drive motor where would be the best place to look for one. The Serial Number is 501965642 if needed also. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Look up loader parts source, they will have parts of a motor to fix your issue.
Depends on how bad the marks are on the two faces if they can be sanded out or not. One will be a valve plate, so it does need to seal well to direct oil to the right ports on the geroler.
Have a chat to them and get their opinion

jp8775

Drive motor 732 leaking into chain case? When the motor is running the right rear axle leaks oil out the seal shut off the motor and it stops. There is some weeping small but wet at the motor where it bolts thew the case. Two question I am thinking the seal on the shaft on the drive motor is leaking into the chain case. It looks like you just need to remove the hoses and the the 4 bolts and it unplugs from the case correct.

brdgbldr

Motor seals do leak into the chain case. You are correct about the hoses and 4 bolts to remove the motors. I did this on my 742B several years ago. The hardest part was getting the hoses off and on. Also, the motors are heavier than they look so be careful.

You can look at the exploded views of your machine and parts on:

I find this site very helpful when digging into machines.

brdgbldr

In my case it was the oil seal that actually went into the Motor Carrier that needed to be replaced. I believe in your case it should be the seal (6513588) in the Gearcase. You also have a bronze bushing (6513681) that may need to be replaced. However, you may also want to reseal your motor while it is out of the machine. The seal kit (6514895) requires you to take apart the motor but is just made up of O-rings and backup rings.

Seals are pretty easy. You just have to make sure to be careful and get it to go in evenly. Take your time and be patient.

Make sure to note how far in the old seal is before removing it. Most seals do not seat like bearings, they only go in enough to seal but not interfere with other parts.

Taking the old seal out is destructive. Just try not to damage where the seal goes in.

I usually make a tool out of ABS or PVC to set the new seal. You just find the same diameter pipe as the seal and use a coupling with one threaded side and put a plug in it so you have a surface to hammer on (Sometimes you can just find the correct size coupling and forgo the pipe).

You can also just slowly tap it in by going around the edge with a punch or drift. Just be careful again not to damage, or bend, the seal.

Depending on how expensive the seals are you may want to buy an extra just in case.

You may have to remove the motor and then order the parts you need. Be prepared for your machine to be down for a while.

jp8775

Bobcat told me the motor does not have a seal its the shaft seal on the gear box as you said. The serial number of my machine is 501929183. The number you gave Does not match up with the seal I see on the exploded view at the bobcat parts site? Is your number an upgraded number.

brdgbldr

Go with the part number from your serial number. The numbers I have were from the 732 model number. Above you stated it was for a 732 but the serial number you provided is for a 743.

I still get the same part number for the outer seal 6513588. Are you looking at the inner seal 6515195?

I would talk to Bobcat again to make sure you need to replace the inner seal. If you are replacing the inner seal you will also need to replace the outer seal.