Bobcat 743 Centering Spring Bolt

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Hello, I am an active member in many forums but heavy equipment forums are new to me, so hi everyone and forgive me if I use the wrong terms for some of the components.

I am trying to help my uncle fix his Bobcat 743 serial #5019-M-301-39. The issue is that when trying to turn on the machine, the steering handles move and causes it to creep, but more like jump around. After reading many threads, I popped the cab up and found that the bolt retaining the centering spring had broken off, but luckily I found the spring and the retainers or washers that go on each end of the spring in a crevice. I found a parts manual and found the right part number, but Bobcat's website doesn't return anything and googling returns nothing as well. Part number is 17C000692B. Does anyone know the size of this bolt so I can source it locally? length, thread pitch? Pictures for reference.

PS I also checked the bushings and other components for wear but there doesn't seem to be tons of play, so I want to start with the spring and go from there.

Attachments

• IMG_3576.jpeg
    IMG_3576.jpeg
    600.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3573.jpeg
    IMG_3573.jpeg
    649.1 KB · Views: 130

Tazza

Staff member
If no one can come up with specs, compress the spring in a vice and measure its length, add the plates it goes through, this is the minimum length of when you tighten the bolt up, then let it uncompress, this is the maximum length you will need. Get a bolt to suit or make your own from a piece of round bar, weld a head to one end and thread the other so you don't eat the plate out where it touches the shank of the bolt.

Good luck

craigb93

Can't help you on the bolt length except that Tazza has it right about a suitable length.
The real deal is bobcat made a replacement spring and cup washer that is far superior to the OE. Can't get bound up with mud like to original due to the replacement being a larger diameter.. Try to find one of those. -Dick
It is a 3/8 SAE x 3, 3-1/2, 4 inch bolt. Something of that order.

OP
OP
J
Hi all, just a follow up here. I ended up referencing as many pictures and videos as I could and figured that since the manual calls for a spring length of 2.7", and there being roughly a 3" gap between the next section, that I probably needed a 6-8" long bolt. I went down to Home Depot and bought a 3/8" 8" long bolt. I ended up cutting it down to about 7" after I mocked it up. They didn't have any grade 5 or 8 in stock in that size so I will order one and swap it out later. There is a bit of creep sometimes in some positions, but that seemed to be the major culprit.

Now the next issue. It turns on well, even in cold weather, and revs up, but after some use, could be a minute or 30 minutes, it stalls under load, whether its turning, moving forward, or moving the bucket up, down or tilt. I checked the primer bulb immediately after a couple of stalls and it was not sucked in so it is probably not a supply blockage. I also found that the bleeder valve on the injection pump was fully open. I closed it but it did not seem to make a difference. I will probably start at the tank and work my way through the fuel supply but any other suggestions are welcome.