Bobcat 743 block heater

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

uffda

Called KAT heaters and they said to use Block Heater #11444. What is the location for the install on Bobcat 743 with Kubota V1702

OP
OP
U

uffda

I found that it is located RF @ 2'oclock. Does the injector pump need to be removed?

Tazza

Staff member
I found that it is located RF @ 2'oclock. Does the injector pump need to be removed?
I thought most block heaters were inserted into a freeze plug at the back of the block, on a 743, they are behind a metal plate, unless they have ones for the small ones the head?
What style heater did you get hold of?

OP
OP
U

uffda

I thought most block heaters were inserted into a freeze plug at the back of the block, on a 743, they are behind a metal plate, unless they have ones for the small ones the head?
What style heater did you get hold of?
I was totally wrong. There are definitely freeze plugs. As you are facing into the engine, there are 4 plugs on the right and 2 on the left. Looked up Zero Start heaters and it says "back of the head". Would it matter which side of the head as long as it is positioned at 2"o'clock. I have bought a Kat 11444 heater

Tazza

Staff member
I was totally wrong. There are definitely freeze plugs. As you are facing into the engine, there are 4 plugs on the right and 2 on the left. Looked up Zero Start heaters and it says "back of the head". Would it matter which side of the head as long as it is positioned at 2"o'clock. I have bought a Kat 11444 heater
I'm pretty sure these plugs are for coolant and not oil passages, but can't be totally sure, but if they are indeed coolant, I see no reason why you can't put them in any plug hole, as long as it's in there, it will warm the head. It's not a high wattage element that will simply boil the water.
I wonder if they advise to use the rear one to keep it out of the way?

jp8775

I have not been able to find a frost plug heater that fits into the side plugs on a v1702. Not enough room between the cylinder jacket for the heater to fit unless someone has a part number that works.

Marty608

I have not been able to find a frost plug heater that fits into the side plugs on a v1702. Not enough room between the cylinder jacket for the heater to fit unless someone has a part number that works.
There is a youtube vid of a guy installing one in the frost plug using a kubota tractor part with a threaded sleve in the frost plug hole He has the 1702removed but he says it dosent mater if it is in or out because there is enough room

laurencen

couple years ago when I rebuilt the 743 motor we looked into a block heater and found there was just not enough room between block wall and cylinder wall, unless there is a new style heater I would be curious how you get it to fit, regarding the video thats a heater for a threaded hole and likely cartridge style not typical to install into the regular frost plug hole

wings5j

I have purchased block heaters directly from Bobcat (about $45 at the time) for my 742B and also for a 753G that I did some work on.

As I recall, the one for the Kubota installed in a soft plug location in the cylinder head instead of the engine block. It did come with instructions and showed the location.

John