Bobcat 742 water pump

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

slk12407

Hey guys surely there has to be a more reasonable price water pump than $400 from Bobcat. Is there a cross reference for that Mitsubishi engine...Any info is greatly appreciated Steve

slk

Yea, that sound about $370 too much. It should have a Mitsi 4G32 engine, same as a lot of forklifts and small cars.

Google shopping has them from under $50.
Rock Auto has them from under $25.
Thanks for the reply. The machine is actually a 742B if that makes any difference. I just knew there had to be something more reasonable out there. Thanks Much Steve

Dave1234

We really need a page dedicated to parts interchange just like there is one for manuals. Bobcat is outrageous, and doesn't always have parts anyway.

Dave1234

I just bought an automotive water pump for my 4G32 engine in a 742B. I finally have settled on a 1978 Dodge Colt as the most likely engine to use as a parts target when ordering such things that are hopefully the same on auto and indust. engines. Bobcat wants $750 now, Ebay wanted $150-190 for one specific to Bobcat, and $18-60 for one for Dodge Colt. Rock Auto actually had the best prices and choices for Aisin brand, that was apparently OEM for 742Bs. I bought one Asin and the cheapest similar one I could find on Ebay as a spare, and both are essentially identical to the one that is failing, and installed fine.

FYI, I did have to snip off a piece of the aluminum casting about 1/8" wide and 1/4" long that prevented both the original and replacement water pumps from simply "rotating out" as the manual promised. With that small piece of casting rib in place, to do the swap I had to remove one bolt from behind the cam cog wheel and loosen the other so I could rotate the sheet metal housing slightly clockwise to clear the above piece of casting. If I live long enough to need to do it again, it should be an easy replace now with that modification done.

It looked to me like Rock Auto is clearing out its inventory of these water pumps. I suggest anyone needing one get it now.

One other observation--on my machine, the overflow tank was full above the cold mark, but the radiator had no visible coolant in it. The overflow tank is so far below the top of the radiator, I suspect it was easier to suck air through the failing water pump seal than to lift coolant from the overflow tank, then as the system pressurized, leak more coolant out through the seal, slowly draining the system of coolant. This machine is new to me, and I have yet to find out just what if any damage was done by running it low on coolant which I suspect must have happened. Bottom line--don't ignore a coolant drip from the water pump, and check the radiator through the cap periodically.

cdmccul

Yes, you are 100% correct. The cooling system will suck air from the leak (any leak) before it sucks coolant from the bottle.

Reds Skid Steers

We really need a page dedicated to parts interchange just like there is one for manuals. Bobcat is outrageous, and doesn't always have parts anyway.
We do need a page for parts company info and exchange. Bobcat is way too high on their prices for older machine parts.

Dave1234

Does anyone know how to set a dedicated page up? Is there an admin person who handles it?