Bobcat 742 Spool Detent Repair

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Dmc10140

I have my motor out of my 742 to repair a leaky input shaft seal (it was brand new and is leaking, weird). While i have the motor out I was thinking about doing a little spool work. My left foot pedal does not recenter when you push on the back of it. I figure it is probably the centering spring in the back since the rest of the mechanism is free moving. I figure I would pull this one out since it is easy to get to being on top, re-seal it and replace the spring and the detent balls. On my aux spool my machine will not detent when i run my backhoe. I have a zip tie in my machine that holds the level over to keep it engaged. My questions is can i just remove the cap and replace/clean the detent balls without pulling the whole spool? This one seems like it would be a bear to pull out and hook back up. Thanks for the help.

flyerdan

You should be able to do that, providing that there isn't some corrosion or pitting in the bore that's hanging it up.
There is a book in the manual thread called Melroe Control Valves that details the overhaul of these blocks, you might want to grab a copy just to have for reference.

Tazza

Staff member
You should be able to do that, providing that there isn't some corrosion or pitting in the bore that's hanging it up.
There is a book in the manual thread called Melroe Control Valves that details the overhaul of these blocks, you might want to grab a copy just to have for reference.
The valve can stay in place, you just remove the spool to replace the seals and centering spring.
Over time, the detent wears out. The steel case that the balls run in will get 2 grooves in it. To do the job right, you really will need a new one of these cases as well as balls.
Good luck with your repair, with the engine out, it's much easier!