bobcat 742 gas shutting off when hot

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

nickjohnson

Hi there. I'm new. Hope to get some help! Our 742 runs for about 10 minutes then the gas cuts itself off and it wont restart until it cools off. I can hear the fuel pump 'clicking' when I turn the key when its cool, but after running for 10 minutes and it gets hot, it stalls out and the fuel pump fails to 'click'. After cooling down, the pump is working again and it runs for 5 minutes, then shuts off. Another forum suggested possibly its the fuel cutoff valve that is shorting out? I cant find one. Also, the fuel pump is on the right side, near the main gas intake tube. Is it in the right place? Its the standard Ford engine that comes with these models. It HAS to be a heat/gas problem based on the patterns I am seeing. Any help is appreciated! Nick

Tazza

Staff member
Its possible as the fuel pump warms up that it is turning off due to a short in the windings?
Why not hook power up driect from the battery to the pump and see if it will keep clicking away pumping fuel. If it stops, its the fuel pump.

craigb93

Its possible as the fuel pump warms up that it is turning off due to a short in the windings?
Why not hook power up driect from the battery to the pump and see if it will keep clicking away pumping fuel. If it stops, its the fuel pump.
These machines originally have a mechanical pump driven from the engine cam shaft. They don't last long with ethanol blend gasoline. I replaced mine with an electric pump, a Carter P4070. If yours has had an electric pump added be sure it is wired with a fused power supply. I have seen them powered from the coil primary circuit. This is not adequate as it is only 9 volts when running. If the sock filter in the tank is clogged or the fuel safety plunger on the carburetor inlet has a short, either will give the same symptoms. The pigtail on the solenoid is extremely close to the engine block and if the insulation is frayed at that point it will cause the solenoid to lose power and shut down. Try to save yours by gently rerouting the wire. They are ~$150 new from Bobcat. I use Stabil Marine fuel additive year round to try and off-set the havoc of the ethenol in the gasoline.

Latest posts