Bobcat 731 Steering problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mattw3385

Hi, I picked up a Bobcat 731 from a friend that runs great except it won't turn more then a couple degrees left or right. Also it has hard time going up slight inclines. I already replaced the bronze filter and topped off the hydraulic fluid and still no improvement. I do know that during winter when it's below zero out it runs like a brand new bobcat it has no problem turning, going up hills, and back dragging. Does anybody have any ideas of what might be the problem ? The guy I bought 8t from swears all it needs is a charge pump.

brdgbldr

Here is my 2 cents.
It sounds like it wants a "thicker" oil. That would explain the running better in cold weather. This could be a simple fix of just swapping to a heavier weight oil OR it could be that the pump is so worn out that the correct weight oil is just slipping by.

OP
OP
M

Mattw3385

That makes sense. I'm tempted to change the oil to a heavier weight to see if it helps with the problem. I have a feeling the pump is worn out of spec or the seals are going out.

River Fluid Power

Here is my 2 cents.
It sounds like it wants a "thicker" oil. That would explain the running better in cold weather. This could be a simple fix of just swapping to a heavier weight oil OR it could be that the pump is so worn out that the correct weight oil is just slipping by.
You're right about the pump being worn out. Hydrostats with internal wear will slow down as they get warmer due to fluid thinning out and bypassing internally. Sounds like it's time for a pump rebuild. Probably worth checking the motors as well.