Bobcat 642 Needs Cap and Rotor.. Little Help PLZ

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Dantra

So, I've been Googling and searching this forum for a definitive answer as to what cap and rotor I need for Bobert. He runs pretty good, but looking at things, it's time. I did find that the factory plug is a AGR-22, but the cap and rotor has become aggravating. I considered buying one of the aftermarket electronic distributors off ebay but that's a can of worms I'll deal with in the spring, maybe. (would like some suggestions tho)

My distributor info..
JFU4
71BB12100BHA

I thought I had found the answer in a few threads, but the posters never followed up with the end results. I've read suggestions for Ford Pintos, so I did a search on Napaonline.com for 1975 Ford Pinto and came up with a few possibilities.. ( https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=distributor cap&referer=v2 ) Those possibilities are gray cap Part #: ECH EP274, brown cap Part #: MPE EP274SB, and a black cap Part #: ECH EP50 for cap options.

As for rotors, those options are.. ( https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=distributor ROTOR&referer=v2 ) brown ECH EP278, black Part #: MPE EP278SB and black with spring tang ECH EP51

I had read in another thread that black cap EP50 cap and EP51 rotor were too big for another member with the same distributor.. So I'm leaning towards the brown cap EP274SB and EP278SB. But I just don't know for certain. All this stuff is just never in stock and they have to order it in for the next day. I don't want to go through all the hassle of ordering, trying, ordering and trying again. Ad I don't want to put them through that either.

OP
OP
D

Dantra

I guess 642 knowledge is fading away... But here is the answer for the other lonely 642 owners.

Over the weekend, I decided to have another look at the cap and thought "Damn, that looks just like the one in my Beetle" .. I've got a chop top 1970 VW Bug that I built a few years ago and plenty of spare parts. So I went to the parts shelf and grabbed my spare dizzy and popped the cap and rotor off and bingo bango, it was a winner. The VW distributor is a 0231170034.. Bosch used the same design across many platforms, with changes to the mounting, drive etc. So the cap and rotor fit ALOT of things.. VW, Ford, Volvo...

Napa #s
Cap EP274SB
Rotor EP278SB

While I was in there, I found that somewhere along Boberts life, someone converted from points to electronic. A can of worms that I won't have to deal with, afterall.

craigb93

Last time I looked for points I matched them up by taking in an old set. Turns out they were VW points. Go by the cap color. Brown fits my 742 w/ a Bosch dist.

OP
OP
D

Dantra

Last time I looked for points I matched them up by taking in an old set. Turns out they were VW points. Go by the cap color. Brown fits my 742 w/ a Bosch dist.

Cap color doesn't seem to matter in my case. My spare cap that I used was black (came from Oreilys Auto Parts) but the one it replaced was brown. My bug has a red one now.. Just depends on mfr.

Atilathehun99

Why not upgrade to a new electronic distributor? There's no comparing to points ignition.

See the For Sale here under my name.