Bobcat 632 1.6 engine parts

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Stevebusmc

I have a bobcat 63# with the 1.6 ford. I was going to rebuild it but I removed the head and it's got a pretty thick lip.on the cylinder wall I'm going to go with a vanguard or something similar. If anyone needs parts for The ford engine or wants it all just let me know. Cheap to free. The only thing I would like is $ for the brand new new starter. Thanks.

flyerdan

A lip on the cylinder wall at the top is a ridge, and it's common. There is a tool called a ridge reamer that cuts it down to the same size as the bore so the pistons will come out. A few thousandths will feel like a lot to the fingernail but still be within spec.
If the rest of the engine is in good shape it will probably be a lot cheaper (not to mention loads easier) to do an overhaul. You can rent a reamer from lots of parts stores for little, often just a refundable deposit if you buy parts there. Rock auto will have discount parts for the engine. Staying OEM also eliminates all the headaches associated with a repower; unless you already have a donor engine, a complete metal fab shop and a penchant for bodging, most attempts never get completed.

OP
OP
S

Stevebusmc

A lip on the cylinder wall at the top is a ridge, and it's common. There is a tool called a ridge reamer that cuts it down to the same size as the bore so the pistons will come out. A few thousandths will feel like a lot to the fingernail but still be within spec.
If the rest of the engine is in good shape it will probably be a lot cheaper (not to mention loads easier) to do an overhaul. You can rent a reamer from lots of parts stores for little, often just a refundable deposit if you buy parts there. Rock auto will have discount parts for the engine. Staying OEM also eliminates all the headaches associated with a repower; unless you already have a donor engine, a complete metal fab shop and a penchant for bodging, most attempts never get completed.
Thank you for the response. I will give that a try. I did have good compression on 3 of the 4 cylinders but #1 was down substantially which prompted me to tear it down. The bottom end is good but my concern is that after getting the Pistons out if it will be worth the machine work necessary? An air cooled horizontal shaft looks tempting. I will get the lip cut out so I can get the Pistons out and see what the problem is and post an update soon. Thanks again.

craigb93

Thank you for the response. I will give that a try. I did have good compression on 3 of the 4 cylinders but #1 was down substantially which prompted me to tear it down. The bottom end is good but my concern is that after getting the Pistons out if it will be worth the machine work necessary? An air cooled horizontal shaft looks tempting. I will get the lip cut out so I can get the Pistons out and see what the problem is and post an update soon. Thanks again.
I am in the middle of re-ringing my 1.6 Ford. I typed a long description and the web lost it. Email me @ [email protected] -Dick

Tazza

Staff member
I am in the middle of re-ringing my 1.6 Ford. I typed a long description and the web lost it. Email me @ [email protected] -Dick
If you can't get hold of a ridge remover, you can carefully use a die grinder to grind the ridge off. I have done it on a V1702 that had a ridge that i used a die grinder with little curcular sand paper things, not sure what they call them, i have heard spryo bands but unsure if that is correct or not. They are mainly used for wood, but if you are careful to go slowly you can remove the ridge.
The engine i did this to, the wear was in spec, i threw a new set of rings at it after removing the ridge, that engine ran awesome from the day it went back together.

Wayne440

If you are within reasonable travel distance, and end up doing a re-power, I could use the 1.6 parts.

craigb93

I am in North Georgia.
I too am in North Georgia. I would be glad to help you get going again. These things are bad to wind up w/ stuck rings which takes away your compression. I have two reamers you could borrow. Honing the block is the easy part. Taking everything else apart to adequately clean and remove the honing residue with hot soapy water is the work part. If not removed, the rest of the engine will destroy itself with the oil and what is essentially valve lapping compound that stays behind. If you want to leave a number we can talk. If it gets into too much work for you I too would like a chance to pick up any leftover 1.6 parts. -Dick

OP
OP
S

Stevebusmc

I too am in North Georgia. I would be glad to help you get going again. These things are bad to wind up w/ stuck rings which takes away your compression. I have two reamers you could borrow. Honing the block is the easy part. Taking everything else apart to adequately clean and remove the honing residue with hot soapy water is the work part. If not removed, the rest of the engine will destroy itself with the oil and what is essentially valve lapping compound that stays behind. If you want to leave a number we can talk. If it gets into too much work for you I too would like a chance to pick up any leftover 1.6 parts. -Dick
Thanks Dick. I can surely give it a try. If it doesn't work you are more than welcome to the parts. I live in Baldwin near commerce. 678-794-0086. Steve

1816case

Steve- any ford ( inline 4) engine parts left? need crankshaft pulley (2 grooves) and distributer cap

GWJ

I have a bobcat 63# with the 1.6 ford. I was going to rebuild it but I removed the head and it's got a pretty thick lip.on the cylinder wall I'm going to go with a vanguard or something similar. If anyone needs parts for The ford engine or wants it all just let me know. Cheap to free. The only thing I would like is $ for the brand new new starter. Thanks.
do you still have the head off the 1.6 ?mine is cracked