Bobcat 610 Backfires and won't idle

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JoeT

Hi! I hope you all are well. I am having a terrible time with a 610 Bobcat. It acts like the fuel mix is off, but nothing seems to fix it. At first, we thought it was fuel pump and changed it - no success. Second, we rebuilt the carb - no success. Third, we ran the gas out of a clean gas tank - SOME success. Fourth, we put a new coil in - no success. It starts right up, but it just does not run right. Everything works but under a load... consistently dies.
1. New Fuel Filter
2. New plugs gapped at .025
3. New coil
4. New Fuel Pump
5. rebuilt carburetor
6. new spark plug wires
7. New points and Condensor
8. New distributor cap
Stumped.
Thanks for any help you may offer!

brdgbldr

I haven't. how would I go about that?
I'm not actually familiar with that model of Bobcat so I can only try to help.

Make sure all of the linkages are are connected. Check for oil level in the Governor. Check the belt for tightness.

I hope this helps. Maybe someone else with a 610 can chime in here.
I always find it helps to look at the exploded view in the parts catalog. Just put in your serial number or model and then search "governor":

foton

look and see what your intake manifold vacuum pressure is and does the needle hold steady or is it jumping all over.

gearbox

Do you have a timming light? Get one . Run the RPMs above half throttle pick a mark and watch and see if the timming is jumping around . im thinking you may have bad distributer bushings . I had one that would run ok until you opened the throttle it would backfire and miss . Turned out it was the valve guides were worn so bad they wore the seats . Valve guide wear on VH4D is very common because they get no lube ever .

haymaker

Do a compression check.
I had one that had a piece of carbon holding open a valve and it would backfire through the carb when under a load.
Unlikely but a cheap thing to check.

shadow06

Hate issues like those. Drive a guy nuts, did me.. Pull DIST and threw it against shop wall, replaced it with PETRONICS runs like a top.

Azhayseed

I've used pertronics modules in several tractors, never had a problem, the always start right up hot or cold!