Bobcat 533 Wheels don't move but bucket works fine

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

KmanAuto

Was going to buy a 533 from a friend today, it's been sitting for about a year.

We went to drive it onto the trailer, but the wheels would not move. Bucket operation is fine. Goes up, down, tilts etc...
Neither of us know much about fixing them, but if we can figure it out, that would be awesome as a technician would cost more than this things worth.

So, hydraulic fluid is proper levels and does not appear contaminated. At first, we thought the tires were frozen to the ground (They were) so we got a few buckets of hot water, and a jack and got them free. Still wouldn't move. Raised it up on blocks, wheels still wont turn. Tried turning the wheels physically by hand, couldn't get the to budge.

Ideas what to do next?
Thanks!

reaperman

Depending on your location, is there a chance water got into the chain case over time and now froze the chains and sprockets? Being the wheels were froze to the ground, I'd remove the chain case cover and take a peek.

OP
OP
K

KmanAuto

Depending on your location, is there a chance water got into the chain case over time and now froze the chains and sprockets? Being the wheels were froze to the ground, I'd remove the chain case cover and take a peek.
Thanks, as of right now, I'm not able to help out, but he got the cage off, and put it back up on blocks and pulled the wheels off. Yesterday was about 5*F, today is about 50*F (SPRING IN WISCONSIN! Fools spring #2, only need #3 and then we have summer!)
He's going to use some railroad ties as skids and pull it off the lawn onto the driveway. As of right now, it doesn't appear to be frozen. Will update as I find out more.

reaperman

If there is water in the chain case be sure to replace it. The best way is taking off the top cover between your feet as you sitting in the machine. That will give the best access to the whole compartment. After the fluid is taken out with whatever method you choose, you can flush with diesel for cleaning. There is a drain plug on the front/center of the machine which acts as the "fluid level indicator". Fill with fluid until it starts to come out of the plug hole. Most chain cases take around 8 gallons of fluid. Since the chains and sprockets are splash lubricated, just about any oil will work. I know bobcat says use 10w-30, but many people use hydro.

I know exactly how your spring is going. I'm in Minn, Saturday morning I woke up to -17 and today it hit almost 40.

OP
OP
K

KmanAuto

If there is water in the chain case be sure to replace it. The best way is taking off the top cover between your feet as you sitting in the machine. That will give the best access to the whole compartment. After the fluid is taken out with whatever method you choose, you can flush with diesel for cleaning. There is a drain plug on the front/center of the machine which acts as the "fluid level indicator". Fill with fluid until it starts to come out of the plug hole. Most chain cases take around 8 gallons of fluid. Since the chains and sprockets are splash lubricated, just about any oil will work. I know bobcat says use 10w-30, but many people use hydro.

I know exactly how your spring is going. I'm in Minn, Saturday morning I woke up to -17 and today it hit almost 40.
I appreciate it! I'll pass this along! I hope it's as simple as this!

OP
OP
K

KmanAuto

Well sure as heck.... Looked clean but over-filled. He popped the drain plug, nice clean clear water drained out, followed by oil. Now the wheels turn until the chain slack is taken up. He said it appears to be mostly clean inside now that the giant block of ice has melted. Going to let it dry as much as possible and try flushing it. Pictures attached.

Again, thank you for helping is find the problem! Will update once we get further!

Attachments

• 123_1.jpeg
    123_1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 103
  • 123_2.jpeg
    123_2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 120
OP
OP
K

KmanAuto

We have no idea how the water got in though. Gasket was good, and it wasn't submerged or taken in deep water high enough to get in Will investigate more.

reaperman

Glad you found the issue. Bobcat uses a special caulk called "Mat 10" to seal the cover back on. Done use a gasket which may have been standard back then. They are foam and will let water seep in causing, well you know what. Any good sealer should work, NAPA most likely sells something good also. Make sure to seal around the bolts good too.