BOB-TACH MOUNTING PINS (453)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kyhamoge

Best advice for removing corroded & seized mounting pins from lift arms?! Having no luck whatsoever with lubricant and a LARGE sledge hammer! And yes, the grease fittings have been removed, and heat applied to the area. Both pins & bolts will be replaced, so I'm not concerned about damage to those items. Thanks!

SkidRoe

They can be very tight - mine were. What I did with mine was find a longer bolt, 4" works well. Screw it in as far as it will go, then hit it with a sledge hammer - HARD. HTH - SR

Tazza

Staff member
They can be very tight - mine were. What I did with mine was find a longer bolt, 4" works well. Screw it in as far as it will go, then hit it with a sledge hammer - HARD. HTH - SR
Some times you have no choice but to cut into the boss that the pins run through to relieve the tension.
I had a 753 that had a bobcatch that the pins rusted into the bosses. I had to take an oxy torch to them to get them out.....
Be VERY careful hitting the pins with a hammer, i was standing on the bobcatch and hit it with a sledge. The pins and sledge are both hardened, the first swing i fet something, the second i felt something hit below my knee. A shard of metal flew off, like a razor blade and lidged in just under my knee cap. I was lucky that i had just been heating it with a torch, so it was sterile, but unlucky enough for a magnet to now stick to my knee. A bit of wiggling and digging, out the metal came.

Tazza

Staff member
They are real fun when the beating of a hammer shears the threads out of the pin. Get a real hammer, I use a 20 lbs maul and sometime its still 20 minutes of fun.
But it gives you a good workout!

walio123

They are real fun when the beating of a hammer shears the threads out of the pin. Get a real hammer, I use a 20 lbs maul and sometime its still 20 minutes of fun.
Especially for this purpose I make a tool . 2 square pieces of steel 20 mm thick, drilled at the four corners , four studs 30mm and 8nuts , 40 t jack and a few pieces of 25 mm round steel - working as a hydraulic press . 5 min to install , 2 min pumping and everything is ok :)

Tazza

Staff member
Especially for this purpose I make a tool . 2 square pieces of steel 20 mm thick, drilled at the four corners , four studs 30mm and 8nuts , 40 t jack and a few pieces of 25 mm round steel - working as a hydraulic press . 5 min to install , 2 min pumping and everything is ok :)
Do you have any pictures of this? sounds interesting.

walio123

Do you have any pictures of this? sounds interesting.
Unfortunately, the tool is no longer in me. More than a month gave it to a colleague . He did not get it back , he stopped answering my calls . I'll try to draw it and post it here.

Tazza

Staff member
Unfortunately, the tool is no longer in me. More than a month gave it to a colleague . He did not get it back , he stopped answering my calls . I'll try to draw it and post it here.
Sounds like a great colleague..... You loan them something, then they ignore you.
Next time they want something, i bet they get a big F.U.

Latest posts