Bob Cat 873 - Serial 514147022

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mike M

I am trying to replace the fuel pickup assembly - everything I see shows it on top but all I see if the vent tube and fuel sensor. It looks like the fuel line runs behind engine and towards the bottom left of the tank (If looking at engine from the back. Can anyone help? I have pulled cab, crawled in, pulled both side access service panels and again only see vent tube and fuel sensor.

Flip57

I have an 863 which also has a Deutz engine. I had to replace my fuel pick-up. Not sure if it is the same but I had to pull the cooling fan and housing. The fuel line is pushed into a grommet on top of the tank. This is located between the motor and the hydraulic pump. You can reach it by feel if you are a bit of a contortionist but much easier to pull the fan.

Markle

Same issue with my 873 two years ago. Mine was accessible through the right side (drivers right) inspection cover. It is there, very tight spot, but I was able to do it by feel only.

Markle

The Miller 168638 pickup tube kit worked swell. Put pickup hose thru grommet. Attach screen To pickup tube. Push tube into tank and seat grommet. Then push L fitting onto pickup tube end sticking up thru grommet. Then push L fitting down into grommet past shoulder. This shoulder expands grommet enough for the seal. I dont recall but I may have removed one hyd line fitting for best access.

Flip57

When I replaced the line, I did not attach a pick up screen as I was in the middle of a project and did not have time to order parts. Just used appropriate fuel line down in the tank. I added an inline fuel filter close to the fuel pump for easy access instead. Fuel level indicator failed after a cold snap last year so I will probably be replacing both with new ones once I get my shop completed.

Jarwop

Replaced my 873 fuel pickup twice. First with factory kit. Last fall the replaced plastic pickup hose in the tank failed again. Second time, used steel brake line in the tank through the gromet at the top of the tank and then hose to pump on engine. Have a factory kit (plastic pickup line, pickup filter, and and fuel clamps) I'll give away, but don't recommend using it.

Flip57

Thanks for the tip. I will probably use the steel line too. The original line broke off at the 90 under the grommet. Probably got brittle over time as plastic fuel lines tend to do.

Jarwop

Yep, Thats where mine broke off twice. Might consider bending the end of the line up a little to hold the intake off of the bottom of the tank. I added an inline filter below the mechanical fuel pump which I'd also recommend.

Second time didn't even think the fuel tank pickup line could have failed again. I thought the mechanical fuel pump was bad and ordered a repair kit. Interesting what a $50 repair kit contains. Not the rubber diaphragm that would be the thing most likely to fail, but a gasket, screws, and maybe a hose clamp.