Blown Motor S590. Need advice.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Cornwalker

Had a overheating issue, employee did not catch it. Dealer says #4 cylinder is bad. What are my best options to fix? Dealer is saying $11,000 for a new motor ouch!!. Motor has 2400 hours on it and rest of machine is in good condition. I cannot do the work myself. There has to be a better option? Thanks you for any help you can provide me or advice. I appreciate it.

flyerdan

Not being able to do the work yourself is severely limiting in options, but if the engine didn't grind to an abrupt halt, it should be rebuildable for a fraction of the cost. A piston and liner for #4, rings, gaskets and gauge the bearings, some head work, or possibly a new head depending on condition. 2400 hours is nowhere close to tbo on these mills so everything else should just be getting settled in.

If the engine is damaged beyond repair, Loader Parts source has a reman listed for less than half the dealer price.

farmshop

Not being able to do the work yourself is severely limiting in options, but if the engine didn't grind to an abrupt halt, it should be rebuildable for a fraction of the cost. A piston and liner for #4, rings, gaskets and gauge the bearings, some head work, or possibly a new head depending on condition. 2400 hours is nowhere close to tbo on these mills so everything else should just be getting settled in.

If the engine is damaged beyond repair, Loader Parts source has a reman listed for less than half the dealer price.
We haven't done a motor in a s series but when we did them in our g series it was around 4000 for a installed reman although it was from a aftermarket rebuilder our dealer worked with. I think many times dealers inflate estimates either to cover their ass or discourage you from repairing

Tazza

Staff member
We haven't done a motor in a s series but when we did them in our g series it was around 4000 for a installed reman although it was from a aftermarket rebuilder our dealer worked with. I think many times dealers inflate estimates either to cover their ass or discourage you from repairing
If its a machine that you use for making money, you may need to get the work done fast, so if you can get hold of a re-manufactured engine is a good option. If you have time, I'd send it to an engine shop an get the engine looked at and get it rebuilt.
It really depends on the damage, if it's a damaged valve, get the head done, if it's a damaged bore, new piston and a new piston liner. Everything can be repaired and it will be less than the cost of a new engine.

rjitreeman0909

Whatever direction you end up going, see if you can get the dealer or shop to cover a machine lease during downtime. Good incentive to get the work done quickly. Also insist on a warranty. Might be a short duration one or very limited in coverage but again they need to stand behind their work.