Bizzare gas leak!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cchardwick

I got my Case 1737 skid steer running good now, it starts every time! I have a new problem, when I went to put it away today I had a real bad gas leak. I found it was coming out of the gas tank cap! My skid steer has two tanks and both tanks have lines that run down to a coupler just under the fuel filter. Turns out that one tank had a cap that sealed and the other didn't so the pressure pushed gas from one tank to another LOL. I loosened both caps for now for a temp fix but need to fix the problem permanently. Shouldn't these caps be vented so pressure doesn't build up in the system? Or should they both be pressurized? I'm thinking of getting some caps from NAPA but am not sure which to get. Anyone hear of this problem before?

Tazza

Staff member
Both caps should have a breather hole, the previous owner may have replaced one cap with one that looked rite but without the hole.

OP
OP
cchardwick

cchardwick

Both caps should have a breather hole, the previous owner may have replaced one cap with one that looked rite but without the hole.
THANKS! I'm going to run out to NAPA today and get two new caps that breathe! At first I thought I blew a gas line but after looking at my machine it looks like all the gas lines are metal. That's a pretty sweet setup, why don't they do that on cars LOL.

sterlclan

THANKS! I'm going to run out to NAPA today and get two new caps that breathe! At first I thought I blew a gas line but after looking at my machine it looks like all the gas lines are metal. That's a pretty sweet setup, why don't they do that on cars LOL.
reason 1 plastic is cheaper. number 2 the engines move too much for a solid line . number 3 plastic is cheaper LOL Jeff

OP
OP
cchardwick

cchardwick

reason 1 plastic is cheaper. number 2 the engines move too much for a solid line . number 3 plastic is cheaper LOL Jeff
Plastic? Are you talking the gas line or the gas cap? In my case, both are metal. Do you mean new gas lines plastic?

sterlclan

Plastic? Are you talking the gas line or the gas cap? In my case, both are metal. Do you mean new gas lines plastic?
yup plastic lines and fittings they dont take too much abuse without breaking and are not repairable Jeff