Battery Compartment Mod

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bob600

Okay so I think the guy I bought the 600 from probably put in his oldest battery he had to sell it and the battery is no good. I thought it would be a cheap battery to buy because it is so small, but the cheapest one I can find to fit is $80.00 and it only has 450 CCA's. I have a decent size auto battery but it won't slide down into the battery area. There is a large hydralic line on one side and then the lip where the seat goes on the other side. I am wondering if anyone has a good modification to mount a regular sized battery. I was think that the lip where the seat rests could be cut back, or a battery box could be mounted to the cross piece behind the seat and above the engine. I set my auto battery above the compartment and hooked it up and the engine started so nicely and ran smoothly, unlike with the junk battery. Anyway, thanks

OP
OP
B

bob600

Oh, It ran with my 12 volt battery--I assume it is a 12 volt system!!? The old battery has no information on it.

BobMelroe

Oh, It ran with my 12 volt battery--I assume it is a 12 volt system!!? The old battery has no information on it.
Yep it's a 12V system. My battery was $85 and has same 450cca, about typical of what you'll find. Have to balance cost vs whether it's worth the hassle of trying to get another battery to fit. I'll look at mine tomorrow and see how much room there is, but for $80 it may be worth it just to get one that you know fits. It'll probably last as long as you own it, just keep tabs on the charging system to make sure it's putting out a decent charge to the battery, make sure you have a good ground, and keep the terminals and connections clean.

Tazza

Staff member
Yep it's a 12V system. My battery was $85 and has same 450cca, about typical of what you'll find. Have to balance cost vs whether it's worth the hassle of trying to get another battery to fit. I'll look at mine tomorrow and see how much room there is, but for $80 it may be worth it just to get one that you know fits. It'll probably last as long as you own it, just keep tabs on the charging system to make sure it's putting out a decent charge to the battery, make sure you have a good ground, and keep the terminals and connections clean.
That seems like pretty good price actually. Batteries have become more expensive over the last year or so.
The higher the CCA on smaller batteries, the shorter they seem to last, i'm guessing because the plates are packed in so tight.

OP
OP
B

bob600

That seems like pretty good price actually. Batteries have become more expensive over the last year or so.
The higher the CCA on smaller batteries, the shorter they seem to last, i'm guessing because the plates are packed in so tight.
Okay, I bought the battery that fits. $65.00 with exchange. I had the battery that came with it tested, and it either was a six volt battery or there where so many dead cells that 6 Volts is all it could produce.

BobMelroe

Okay, I bought the battery that fits. $65.00 with exchange. I had the battery that came with it tested, and it either was a six volt battery or there where so many dead cells that 6 Volts is all it could produce.
Well, for $65 I wouldn't complain a bit (the one for my truck was $107). Your old old battery was probably toast.

clintrobbins

Although the Owner's Manual for my 773G (Kubota 56 HP Turbo) specifies a 1000 CCA battery, my local Bobcat dealer lists a 650 CCA battery for it. The type 34N auto battery I installed is a little more than 650 CCA and is working fine.

sledesigns

Although the Owner's Manual for my 773G (Kubota 56 HP Turbo) specifies a 1000 CCA battery, my local Bobcat dealer lists a 650 CCA battery for it. The type 34N auto battery I installed is a little more than 650 CCA and is working fine.
Better late than never....This winter found my M600's stock battery struggling to get me started & scooping a nice new deep snow one morning. Could have drove an hour though snow for a battery search but....a swipe of the angle grinder across the front seat mount and the dormant street rods battery (big generic Chevy style battery) was spinning the M600 like a top. Gave the battery something to do too.