Backpack blower

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

shrodney

Guys, I am working on a RedMax EBZ5100 backpack blower that runs for about 15-20 minutes and dies. After a cool-off of about 10-15 minutes it will run for about 5-7 more minutes. Then it dies and you stick a fork in it 'til the next day. Here's what I have done so far: New carburetor. New fuel filter and fuel lines. Cleaned fuel system including tank, and put proper mixture in. Cleaned exhaust port and got rid of spark arrestor. New spark plug. Coil still has fire when it dies; checked it immediately after it died. Disconnected kill wire. 120 psi compression when cold, 100 when it dies. Checked and cleaned rings, ring grooves, and pistons. No scratches, etc. on neither the cylinder walls nor the piston. No obstructions found in cylinder ports. Gaskets checked. All good. I cannot see ANY reason for this. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

flyerdan

Is the vent in the fuel cap working? It sounds like it might be creating vacuum in the tank and when the pump can't provide enough suction it starves for fuel. Next time it quits, open the fuel tank and see if there was a vacuum lock. That's about all I can think of, you've done a great job of troubleshooting all the other usual culprits.

OP
OP
S

shrodney

Is the vent in the fuel cap working? It sounds like it might be creating vacuum in the tank and when the pump can't provide enough suction it starves for fuel. Next time it quits, open the fuel tank and see if there was a vacuum lock. That's about all I can think of, you've done a great job of troubleshooting all the other usual culprits.
Thanks for the advice. I'll check that. I haven't had a chance to get back on it yet, but I'll do that.

OP
OP
S

shrodney

Thanks for the advice. I'll check that. I haven't had a chance to get back on it yet, but I'll do that.
The fuel cap vent is good. This one is really aggravating. Ran for about 20 minutes again and it loses rpm for about the last 30 seconds before dying (I forgot to mention that at first). Still runs smoothly, just loses rpm. I don't get it. I searched some other discussion forums and found nothing addressing this type of problem. Coil? That seems to be all there is left. HELP!

Tazza

Staff member
The fuel cap vent is good. This one is really aggravating. Ran for about 20 minutes again and it loses rpm for about the last 30 seconds before dying (I forgot to mention that at first). Still runs smoothly, just loses rpm. I don't get it. I searched some other discussion forums and found nothing addressing this type of problem. Coil? That seems to be all there is left. HELP!
Coil is always possible, current 2 stroke engines run electronic ignition, so anything is possible. You have replaced just about everything else....
Is it possible your fuel line is too close to the engine causing vapour lock? Are the fuel lines in good shape? cracked ones usually make starting harder, but work ok when running (to an extent).
Other than that, i have no idea..... They are such a simple engine, but when they don't work, they really don't want to work.