Backhoe attachment question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sgf

I have drainage ditches around my property. On occasion I'd like to be able to dig them out. The largest one I'd deal with is about 5 ft. wide and 4 ft. deep. I can access that one from either side and the other ditches are much smaller. I would really like a mini-excavator but they are too pricey for the use I'd get from one. Other than the ditches I'd only did an occasional hole. Backhoes are the same, with the added annoyance of constantly turning the seat around. I'd do that a lot when cleaning the ditches since there would be a lot more repositioning than digging. Tractor mounted backhoe attachments have the same issue. I thought of renting a mini-excavator but since I have the skid steer I thought I'd consider that option. I have a 1999 Lx665. Our soil is free of rocks. I notice that there seem to be two types of backhoe attachments for skid steers. One is like the tractor type and has a seat attached to it. It also has stabilizer legs. The other type is a good bit less money. It does not have legs or a seat and it appears to me that you operate it from the skid steer seat. I'm not sure if it has it's own pump or just runs off the skid steer wet lines. I've never seen one up close. My question is, can anyone give me some input on the unit I said looks to be operated from the skid steer seat? I really like the idea of the quick mobility but do they last and are they able to do what I want? I understand the purpose of the stabilizing legs but I think this might work for what I need it for.

SkidRoe

The simpler one that you describe is usually referred to as a "Bobtach Backhoe". I built a two of them a couple of years ago. The cylinder that actuates the bucket plugs into the aux hydraulic connections on the boom of the machine. Some of the more high end ones have a swing cylinder as well, and require an electrical connection to operate a diverter valve mounted on the attachment.
For general purpose digging, they work great. I have dug trenches, tree stumps, cleared under growth, installed ground level trampolines, and buried dead animals with them.
Compared to the more elegant solutions, they are limited in how deep they will dig; the one on the 773 can go to 6 feet, 5 feet on the 440b. The break out strength is determined by how much traction you have available, and you will be tearing up the grass every time you have to pivot the machine to empty the bucket. Also, because of the breakout strength, you will be limited to the size of bucket you can use, so leave digging house foundations for bigger machines. But that said, to me, these are just factors that I have to work around and I have not found a digging job that I could not handle with this attachment.
As with any attachment that you are debating purchase on, I always recommend renting one to try out first, if you can.
Hope this helps - SR

njennings16

I have a backhoe attachment like the simpler one you are describing that is operated from the skid steer seat. We have used it successfully many times. I had to dig a large hole in the ground to bury a large pile of stumps i needed to dispose of and i was able to do it in just a couple hours. Based on what you are describing to me i think this would be the best option. I got mine from kapteyn equipment. Really high quality, and there's comes with a 24" bucket and backhoe thumb included in the price. I will put a link below you can copy and paste to your browser. https://www.kapteynequipment.com/backhoe-attachements-and-accessorie

Latest posts