Axle seal killer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OldMachinist

I just wanted to post this because its something you should watch out for. I run into this problem on a lot of my equipment because of the places I use them. Vines, tall grass, twine and wire get wrapped around hubs and spindles. It will eventually work its way into the seal area and ruin it. It happens on wheel hubs, mower spindles and even sometimes pulleys on engines.
DSCF1090.jpg

DSCF1089.jpg

I once had a piece of 5/8" steel rod wrap around the axle housing while clearing a old fence line.
DSCF1091.jpg

I had to take a generator and 4" grinder out in the field to cut it off. I have a large pile of stuff I call brush hog art of all the things that have gotten wrapped around the spindles of mowers.
DSCF1092.jpg

Also I have problems mud dabber wasps building nests around the pulley shafts of equipment thats sits unused for a while. When you start it up the dirt will eat seals out of power steering and water pumps.
Like I said just something for you to keep a eye on.

jerry

The 632 I bought the p.o. had split pvc pipe and hose clamped it around the axles in that area. worked very good in fact one axle got 40 feet of barbed wire wrapped around it tight without hurting the seals. I have seen the pvc on other machines since also.

Tazza

Staff member
The 632 I bought the p.o. had split pvc pipe and hose clamped it around the axles in that area. worked very good in fact one axle got 40 feet of barbed wire wrapped around it tight without hurting the seals. I have seen the pvc on other machines since also.
Thankfully i haven't had those problems, but wow! they sure can make a mess though.
Wasps are a pain in the neck. We have them and hornets that like building nests in anything including air tools!

Latest posts