Auger for skidsteer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Flip57

I'm looking to buy an auger for my Bobcat 863F with standard flow of 18 gpm and was wondering how I can insure that the hydraulic motor in the auger will be sized correctly. I rented an auger from caterpillar and it had plenty of torque but it turned very slow which made it impossible to spin fast enough to clear the lose dirt from the bit. Are there any considerations that I should be aware of before I pull the trigger on the purchase?

reaperman

Auger's normally run on standard hydraulic gpm's, and 18 is more than enough. Auger's however, dont generally spin fast, they rely on torque, like you mentioned. Most attachments list the hydraulic gpm's required for operation.

Lowe.Buuck

Auger's normally run on standard hydraulic gpm's, and 18 is more than enough. Auger's however, dont generally spin fast, they rely on torque, like you mentioned. Most attachments list the hydraulic gpm's required for operation.
&nbsp
I had the same question before I bought mine. Bobcat makes 3 models that you can get with a round or hex output shaft.
Model 10 rotates at the highest RPM but has the lowest torque.
Model 15 is medium speed, medium torque.
Model 30 is low speed, highest torque.
Model 30 is generally for digging in very hard ground with a rock auger or for large diameter augers.
Model 10 is for soft easy to dig soils with the smaller auger bits on the smaller loaders and excavators.
My area has a high clay content. When it is wet, my Model 15 struggles with the soil packing in the auger and dragging around the hole. As long as the soil is not too wet it works well.
The Model 15 was recommended by my dealer. That is the most popular model for soils common to my area.
You need to consider both the soil conditions in your area and the hole diameters you will will be digging most often.
According to my auger manual, at 18gpm:
The Model 15 will spin at 85 rpm and produce 1430 ft/lbs of torque at 2200 psi.
The Model 30 will spin at 44 rpm and produce 2772 ft/lbs of torque at 2200 psi.

OP
OP
Flip57

Flip57

&nbsp
I had the same question before I bought mine. Bobcat makes 3 models that you can get with a round or hex output shaft.
Model 10 rotates at the highest RPM but has the lowest torque.
Model 15 is medium speed, medium torque.
Model 30 is low speed, highest torque.
Model 30 is generally for digging in very hard ground with a rock auger or for large diameter augers.
Model 10 is for soft easy to dig soils with the smaller auger bits on the smaller loaders and excavators.
My area has a high clay content. When it is wet, my Model 15 struggles with the soil packing in the auger and dragging around the hole. As long as the soil is not too wet it works well.
The Model 15 was recommended by my dealer. That is the most popular model for soils common to my area.
You need to consider both the soil conditions in your area and the hole diameters you will will be digging most often.
According to my auger manual, at 18gpm:
The Model 15 will spin at 85 rpm and produce 1430 ft/lbs of torque at 2200 psi.
The Model 30 will spin at 44 rpm and produce 2772 ft/lbs of torque at 2200 psi.
Thank you for the info. That makes sense. I live in a high clay soil area so I will have to use the high torque model. Long ago, I saw an operator digging 18" holes and he would pick up the bit and give it a spin that would sling the excess material away from the hole. It was in sandy gravel so I must assume he had the the higher speed as he would not need high torque.

Wayne440

Thank you for the info. That makes sense. I live in a high clay soil area so I will have to use the high torque model. Long ago, I saw an operator digging 18" holes and he would pick up the bit and give it a spin that would sling the excess material away from the hole. It was in sandy gravel so I must assume he had the the higher speed as he would not need high torque.
When using an auger in clay you generally should plan on some "manual intervention" to clear the auger. Still much better than a pair of post hole diggers.

OP
OP
Flip57

Flip57

When using an auger in clay you generally should plan on some "manual intervention" to clear the auger. Still much better than a pair of post hole diggers.
So, does anyone have a recommended auger setup for an 863F skidsteer? Any preferred brand? Any brand to stay away from? Is a two speed worth the extra cost?

spitzair

So, does anyone have a recommended auger setup for an 863F skidsteer? Any preferred brand? Any brand to stay away from? Is a two speed worth the extra cost?
We run a model 15 on our 873C which has the same hydraulic flow as your 863 and I couldn't be happier with it. We have some rock where we use it but it's mostly sand and clay and it powers right through it no problem. Even in the rocky patches it does well with a narrow bit...