Attachment

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

M in sask

Hello I am new to the skid steer world and have some dumb questions. looking at a 1990 743.Bobcat Does all skid steers have the same hook up for the bucket ,forks, etc ? Is there anything I should look at specifically? On this 743 Thanks Merv

flyerdan

The 743 falls nicely into the range that most attachments are sized for. It is becoming the de facto industry standard as SSQA (skidstter quick attach) for a lot of compact tractors as well, so there are a lot of companies providing things that can be shared. Chances are, most things that you'd find for sale will fit a 743.
As for what to look for: excessive smoke, does it start easy, seem to have plenty of power, doesn't leave puddles of fluid where it's sitting. Pivot pins are tight and show evidence of being greased, check for excessive slop in the linkages for the steer sticks and foot pedals. Does it turn equally in both directions, lift and tilt work smoothly with no excessive leaks in the cylinders. Pick up the front tires with the bucket and give them a shake, looking for excessive play in the drive chains or worn wheel bearings. I'm sure that Tazza and others who have them will be along with more suggestions shortly.

Tazza

Staff member
The 743 falls nicely into the range that most attachments are sized for. It is becoming the de facto industry standard as SSQA (skidstter quick attach) for a lot of compact tractors as well, so there are a lot of companies providing things that can be shared. Chances are, most things that you'd find for sale will fit a 743.
As for what to look for: excessive smoke, does it start easy, seem to have plenty of power, doesn't leave puddles of fluid where it's sitting. Pivot pins are tight and show evidence of being greased, check for excessive slop in the linkages for the steer sticks and foot pedals. Does it turn equally in both directions, lift and tilt work smoothly with no excessive leaks in the cylinders. Pick up the front tires with the bucket and give them a shake, looking for excessive play in the drive chains or worn wheel bearings. I'm sure that Tazza and others who have them will be along with more suggestions shortly.
I don't know when the standard became the standard, but pretty well every manufacturer had adopted the bobcat style attach plate standard.
A 743 is a good machine, not too bad to work on, parts are still available.
Flyerdan has given you some good points for things to look for. One thing i'd add is to check that the engine is stone cold when you first see it started. If it's warm when you go to inspect it, they may be trying to hide something. A warm engine starts easier than a cold one. Did they use starting fluid to fet it going to warm it up before you saw it?