ASV RT75 Unexplainable Fire

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cdmccul

In response to this concern:

The Diesel Oxygen Catalyst (DOC)/Muffler should not have a plug in the bottom port, per Cummins engineering. The bottom port is a moisture/condensation drain and should be open to let the moisture/condensation out of the DOC. The front and rear ports should be plugged (ports are for other DOC mounting in other directions for other applications).

The attached diagram, provided by Cummins engineering, shows correct orientation of the bottom drain hole.

We highly recommend ASV customers DO NOT plug the bottom port of the DOC on the RT-75. Improper modification of the port could result in damaging the equipment. This port is open on all ASV RT-75 units and was open in testing and validation of the product. Other causes are believed to be involved in the forementioned fire.

-ASV Compact Equipment
Oh, and WELCOME ABOARD! I see you're new here. :)

Topper1

Welcome aboard ASV.
Please do keep us up to date incase anything else should come of this rogue incident. Always happy to see a corporation get involved when a random occurance results in so much speculation. Open discussion can only result in a vastly superior product and firm up consumer confidence.

JakeK

Perhaps it would be prudent, regardless of anyone's speculated cause of fire, for the manufacturer to examine machines with 500+ hours on them to determine if the water vent location is causing damage to components within the engine compartment and, if found to be the case, maybe recall the units to add piping to the port allowing moisture and exhaust to be vented to a location that won't affect components of the machine ?? Common sense dictates that blowing hot exhaust onto the engine components will cause issues and premature failures needlessly. A simple solution would be all that's needed to remedy any future concerns.

OP
OP
M

MT Ranch

If there are other theories on the cause of the fire, they have not been shared with us. Currently everyone for the ASV dealership mechanics to the fire investigators that have examined the near new spotless machine has had the same reaction as to the cause of the fire directly under the open exhaust port. However, ASV has agreed to have an open discussion with us on the cause of the fire and we are hopeful that answers will be forthcoming for all. As pointed out above, the concern is the application of this Cummins engine and venting the exhaust directly within inches of the plastic valve cover, wiring harness, and fuel rail. In other applications of the motor this may not be the case, or it may not be installed into such a tight configuration. We are very hopeful that ASV and Cummins will share what they feel was the cause of the fire and provide something plausible to dispute their Dealership mechanics and field conversations from the fire investigator.

foton

could a elbow be added to the hole or heat shield be added as a temp. measure to control exaust gasses.

ddbackhoe

In response to this concern:
. This port is open on all ASV RT-75 units and was open in testing and validation of the product. Other causes are believed to be involved in the forementioned fire.

-ASV Compact Equipment
Thanks for joining and adding another side to the story. Look forward to hearing how this works out.

Mturbo28

After seeing ASV's attitude toward their Customers, they will never be a consideration for my Equipment inventory.. Good Luck MT Ranch...

OP
OP
M

MT Ranch

Hi Everyone,

ASV must have changed their mind about having an open discussion with us on the cause of the fire. Instead, it appears they used the time to office engineer another theory on the cause, (four months later), you can make up your own opinion on it. Yesterday I received an email that stated: they had spoken directly to the engineer which stated all parts exposed to the exhaust ventilation have been tested and approved to withstand high temperatures. It is unclear if they mean everything on top of the engine, because they directly vent that exhaust straight at and within inches of the valve cover, wiring harness, and fuel rail. A new theory on the cause of the fire is that a non-recommended or unapproved oil funnel could have been used which may have allowed spillage onto the components (I am assuming they are referring to the ASV dealership mechanics here since it just came out of its initial service?) Apparently, all the exposed parts can take the high heat of the exhaust directly, but it is inferred that any oil spillage cannot and could cause a fire. I wonder how any wood dust from a chipping operation would fair? I know a little about oil and it's a lot harder to lite on fire than the plastic wire loom on top of the engine directly under the exhaust vent. Anyway, as they have pointed out to me since this now occurred over four months ago and we have repaired the unit the cause is impossible to determine in their opinion. They see nothing else to be done and consider this matter to be closed and will not pursue further. So, if you own a RT75 make sure you have the ASV recommended approved oil funnel. (You can't make this stuff up)

You can make up your own minds on this design and its appropriateness. Speaking for myself, I have yet to find anyone that has actually worked on or operated heavy equipment that does not agree that this presents a risk and is a poor design. Other owners have reported notable heat damage directly below this exhaust vent and some have even reported that their port has a plug in it direct from ASV. Consistency has been nonexistent and does not appear to be one of ASVs strong suits, be it with their equipment, their theories, and their communications.

From my experience working with ASV has been the least pleasant experience I have ever had with any manufacturer. I would use much harsher language here but remember they have threatened me with legal action for just talking about this and trying to determine why a nearly new RT75 unexplainably started on fire. (One would think they would also be inclined to want to know). You cannot and will not get anywhere with a company that doesn't listen to or value their customers. I would never buy another ASV product and based on my personal experience their customer service and warranty commitment to customers stop as soon as they cash your check. Buyer beware!

If anyone ever finds themselves in a similar situation or are just curious, I am more than happy to share all the Email correspondence, letters, mechanics statements, and photos.

cdmccul

I think an industry publication needs to hear your story.

I think all the aftermarket dealers of attachments you use should hear about this.

I think insurance companies need to hear about this. If you can't insure these machines without a $40,000 co-pay, ASV might have to face it.