Anyone made a 4-in-1 bucket?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Earthwerks Unlimited

I have a grapple bucket and a straight dozer blade that attaches to my pallet fork frame. The dozer blade isn't wide enough when I have tracks on. Been thinking about modifying a regular dirt bucket and turning it into a 4-in-1. Anybody done this before? I can fabricate pretty much what I need to.

Tazza

Staff member
You really are better off starting from scratch than trying to change a standard bucket into a 4 in 1. I would look to see what you can get a second hand one for first. Most of the time its cheaper than what you can buy the materials for! For a good bucket you really need bizalloy for the sides and cutting edges. Mild will work, but i do believe it will not hold up as well.

skidsteer.ca

You really are better off starting from scratch than trying to change a standard bucket into a 4 in 1. I would look to see what you can get a second hand one for first. Most of the time its cheaper than what you can buy the materials for! For a good bucket you really need bizalloy for the sides and cutting edges. Mild will work, but i do believe it will not hold up as well.
A 4 in one has alot more reinforcement is the floor, because it does not have the support of the rear wall. erskines have a gentle upside down V with braces across the bottom and a cutting edge on each side to reinforce it.
I`m not sure this would be a project I`d want to take on, and I have attacked several mods over the years,
I think you would end up throwing most the original away and would have spent 50 to 60% of the $2200 it would take to buy a new one.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
A 4 in one has alot more reinforcement is the floor, because it does not have the support of the rear wall. erskines have a gentle upside down V with braces across the bottom and a cutting edge on each side to reinforce it.
I`m not sure this would be a project I`d want to take on, and I have attacked several mods over the years,
I think you would end up throwing most the original away and would have spent 50 to 60% of the $2200 it would take to buy a new one.
Ken
The floor is quite easy actually. There are 2 designs over here, a flat floor or a lifted floor. The flat floor is simply a sheet of 12-16mm biz sheet with a full length gusset welded to the sides. The other is a cutting edge front and back with a flat floor and like an A in the middle for strength. I repaired one with using 1/4" thick 3" angle iron for the rise on the A and welded the sheet to the inside.
It would cost more to build than to buy i think. Look for a second hand one, don't go to the trouble of building one.

CUT_TLB

The floor is quite easy actually. There are 2 designs over here, a flat floor or a lifted floor. The flat floor is simply a sheet of 12-16mm biz sheet with a full length gusset welded to the sides. The other is a cutting edge front and back with a flat floor and like an A in the middle for strength. I repaired one with using 1/4" thick 3" angle iron for the rise on the A and welded the sheet to the inside.
It would cost more to build than to buy i think. Look for a second hand one, don't go to the trouble of building one.
I have a 4n1 on my Kubota B21. It is a smaller unit, weighing about 510#. It has been repaired and reinforced. It is only 54" wide. I am considering the purchase of a light duty new Chinese 4n1, then reinforcing it and installing it on my other tractor. I have not seen one, but I hear they are under $1000. I would have to make my own pin-on adapters as would skid steer owners. A CA Brand 60-inch 4n1 I installed once was $2500 and weighed 625 lb.