Any way to figure out ground contact pressure between a tractor (tires) and compact track loader?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

alyaz

The father in law, (if you knew the guy, you'd get it) is ranting that the new Takeuchi track loader I just bought (7800 lbs) is going to 'tear up' the ground around here and I should just have used his John Deere 2520 wheeled tractor (2000 lbs). While I appreciate that the garden tractor is a lot lighter, it would be nice to show him some numbers showing that the weight dispersement of the track loader is not much more if any 'heavier' per square inch, etc. Any ideas? I know I shouldn't even be wasting my time on his 'shyte' but again, if you knew the guy... ;/

Tazza

Staff member
A wheeled loader will not skid, so it will be far better for not tearing up the lawn, so for that he is right, but a loader does not compare to a tracked skidder for what it can lift and push.
The only way I can work out how much pressure there would be is to measure the surface area of the racks and divide it by the weight to give the pressure.
The issue is, a skidder, be it with tyres or tracks, is not gentile on lawn
In a situation like that, it can be best to just say ok, my assistance is not required here, thankfully my in-laws are pretty good

Hotrod1830

A wheeled loader will not skid, so it will be far better for not tearing up the lawn, so for that he is right, but a loader does not compare to a tracked skidder for what it can lift and push.
The only way I can work out how much pressure there would be is to measure the surface area of the racks and divide it by the weight to give the pressure.
The issue is, a skidder, be it with tyres or tracks, is not gentile on lawn
In a situation like that, it can be best to just say ok, my assistance is not required here, thankfully my in-laws are pretty good
The john deere tractor does not have to "skid" to turn. The track loader will. If all you are measuring is ground contact, then you have it won. But, if both machines have to turn on a lawn , your father in law has won. Skid loaders, be it track or wheel, will destroy a lawn in no time flat. Turf or smooth tires on the wheel loader lessons it, but still more than a regular tractor.

Hotrod1830

The john deere tractor does not have to "skid" to turn. The track loader will. If all you are measuring is ground contact, then you have it won. But, if both machines have to turn on a lawn , your father in law has won. Skid loaders, be it track or wheel, will destroy a lawn in no time flat. Turf or smooth tires on the wheel loader lessons it, but still more than a regular tractor.
OOps!! didnt realize this post was from april.

Latest posts