A Newbie with a barn find and a problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

MarkB

Greetings from South Dakota – Grab some popcorn and a beer.

About a year ago I stumbled across something that doesn't come around very often – a 2000 Case 75XT with less than 250 hours on it !! A Pre-Def machine that has lived it's life as safe queen. It still had the original paint on the cutting edge. The only real negative is no A/C – But like my Dad told me growing up – You ain't here to have it easy. I think the 85 year old guy who sold it to me was pre-liquidating some of his estate while he still could and prevent internal squabbling later. I probably paid the retail price when it was new – a good deal for me. I gave him his starting asking price which I think was more than he was expecting - we both went away happy. It came with a new Lap Bar switch which got me to scratching my head a bit, but I skedaddled out of there anxious to try it out. I found out why a little later.

20210525_103412.jpg
20210526_150303.jpg
20210527_105533.jpg

This unit purrs and runs as if new. However, it will randomly lock up when you exit the machine or shut it off. It may work 15 times and then you shut it off to talk to someone outside and when you try to start it again it will not function. It will start, the bucket curl works but the arms will not raise or lower and zero forward or reverse motion.

The upper right control panel has three green lights that must be activated for the unit to function. Light one is switch on, light two is seat switch and light three is the Lap Bar switch. Light three does not come on. If you turn the switch and have three green lights you are good to go.

20220824_071813.jpg

When light three is not lit up - you get in and out and in and out, bounce on the seat, lift and lower the Lap bar endlessly, wiggle the relays and fuses (which I took out and cleaned off the old contact grease and re-lubed) and it may or may not start. When this happens there is no current getting to the Lap Bar switch, I tested it.
20220827_190406.jpg
20220827_190429.jpg

SEAT SWITCH.....................................................................................................LAP BAR SWITCH

I have a service manual. The following is the interlock system description and wiring diagram:

1661655253766.png

1661655307754.png

I figure it is either a short or something in the controller/display board. I really don't want to totally tear the unit down to trace a short and I really don't want to spend a bunch of money replacing a board that is not needed. Any insight would be helpful. I was thinking about tapping power off the seat switch out wire and running it to the lap bar switch, but I don't think that will solve my problem. Your thoughts would be appreciated. I have spent a lot of time reading about others having similar issues.

Thank you for your time to get this far down the thread.

Attachments

• 20210525_102514.jpg
    20210525_102514.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • 20220824_071808.jpg
    20220824_071808.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62

brdgbldr

Have you tested the power coming out of the seat switch? It looks like the bar switch will only work if the seat switch is activated.

OP
OP
M

MarkB

Have you tested the power coming out of the seat switch? It looks like the bar switch will only work if the seat switch is activated.
Good point - I will have to check it out. I figured it must be functioning correctly if the indicator was lit up. It is difficult activating the seat switch when the seat is tilted up - I'll figure out something. Thanks for the tip.