98' 863 Pump belt?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tlawdogg

Hello All, working on my 1998 863F,
My fan pulley went bad (Seized up) , so I am replacing it and the Hydraulic pump belt.
My question is on the Hydraulic pump belt (4 rib) . My set up has a Large pulley (tension ?) With a very large spring on top running front to back. How does this set up work? Taking belts on & off . All of the videos have the single tensioner no giant spring. What set up is this? Were they changed over ?
Any advice would be appreciated.
I found one picture of my set up, see attached.
Stay Safe.

Attachments

• 20220313_113803.jpg
    20220313_113803.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 231

bobbie-g

The belt that runs the hydraulic pump is I believe called the drive belt. I have a 1999 863G. Here are my notes for replacing the drive belt:
  • Drive belt replacement: Note - must remove fan belt first! Pull battery. Loosen tensioner holder bar (2 x 9/16 bolts), and remove bolt (5" long?) from end of spring. Replace belt, run bolt clear down, that's all the tension the drive belt gets. When the belt has a few minutes on it, snug the tensioner stop snug up against the tensioner. Pretty simple.

Per your pix, you should have a "follower" or tensioner holder bar that will hold the tensioner in place. Haven't done this for a few years, so I can't add much to my notes. I did have trouble getting the correct length belt from the Bobcat dealer, evidently there are a couple of choices. I think the part number must have been visible on my old belt.

There are several parts associated with the fan belt. Holler if you need some help with those, I have part numbers, etc.

Other questions? :) ---Bobbie-G

OP
OP
T

Tlawdogg

The belt that runs the hydraulic pump is I believe called the drive belt. I have a 1999 863G. Here are my notes for replacing the drive belt:
  • Drive belt replacement: Note - must remove fan belt first! Pull battery. Loosen tensioner holder bar (2 x 9/16 bolts), and remove bolt (5" long?) from end of spring. Replace belt, run bolt clear down, that's all the tension the drive belt gets. When the belt has a few minutes on it, snug the tensioner stop snug up against the tensioner. Pretty simple.

Per your pix, you should have a "follower" or tensioner holder bar that will hold the tensioner in place. Haven't done this for a few years, so I can't add much to my notes. I did have trouble getting the correct length belt from the Bobcat dealer, evidently there are a couple of choices. I think the part number must have been visible on my old belt.

There are several parts associated with the fan belt. Holler if you need some help with those, I have part numbers, etc.

Other questions? :) ---Bobbie-G
Bobbie-G,
Thank you for your response.
Just to confirm the bolt in the middle of the large spring , I loosen it (back it out) and it will loosen the tensioner? I removed the battery, and Fan belt already. I also removed the two 9/16" head bolts and that stop or hold bar.
Thank you.
Todd

bobbie-g

Todd, just saw this. I think we have two threads going! From my notes, that's right, backing off the bolt will loosen the tensioner. Maybe in your case that's not enough? Maybe prying up on the tensioner a bit would be necessary? All complicated by pretty much zero access, of course!

OP
OP
T

Tlawdogg

Bobbie-G,
Thank you for sharing your notes!
All fixed. The fan pulley was seized up . So, new pulley, tensioner, and fan belt.I added some 89-90W gear oil in the Fan drive.
New Drive belt. I also changed the Timing belt. I was hesitant, but I went slow and double checked everything. I bought an OTC belt tension gauge. (Only tool I didn't have to do the job) To anyone thinking of changing their Deutz timing belt: Do It.
If I can change the timing belt on my Deutz Anyone can, trust me!
Again,
Thanks!
Todd

Attachments

• 20220328_085747.jpg
    20220328_085747.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 236
  • 20220325_081614.jpg
    20220325_081614.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 148

Flip57

Bobbie-G,
Thank you for sharing your notes!
All fixed. The fan pulley was seized up . So, new pulley, tensioner, and fan belt.I added some 89-90W gear oil in the Fan drive.
New Drive belt. I also changed the Timing belt. I was hesitant, but I went slow and double checked everything. I bought an OTC belt tension gauge. (Only tool I didn't have to do the job) To anyone thinking of changing their Deutz timing belt: Do It.
If I can change the timing belt on my Deutz Anyone can, trust me!
Again,
Thanks!
Todd
I rented the tools from the company that sold me the timing belt. It was all pretty reasonable.
I did have an issue with an allen wrench bolt that was set in a recess in the cover and it stripped out so I had to drill it out. It did not hold back any liquids so I didn't replace it.