883 Problem Drive Motor left side

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Alerion

My 883 blew the carrier seal so I removed the left side Rexroth MCR5 drive motor and carrier I replaced the carrier seals and installed a brand new rotating group. The old rotating group had 2 pistons replaced, but one of the pistons bottomed out by the looks of things and when it did it destroyed the babbit material which ended up in the filter but at the same time blew the carrier seals. Thinking this was all that needed repairing 1. new rotating group from Rexroth 2. carrier seals 3. clean filter After all this I figured it should be good but when I started it up it was obvious that something else is wrong because, 1.the left side stick would go in reverse like normal but refused to go forward and when I tried to go forward it made a loud sound not grinding but a whining type sound and then the carrier seal blew and all the fluid went into the low pressure chain case. It felt like the there was pressure on the stick preventing it from going in the forward position. With a little more research in the manual it said that one replenishing valve might not be seating properly if it doesn't move in one direction only. And if it didn't moved in more than one direction maybe more replenishing valves are not seating. There is supposed to 4 replenishing valves 2 forward and 2 reverse I assume, I have not located these yet, but is it possible that junk from when it first went blew chunks from the rotating group are still stuck in the seat of this replenishing valve? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Robert

OP
OP
A

Alerion

The filter I cleaned was the case drain filter there is on located just under the seat and it is brass inside an Aluminum case.

Tazza

Staff member
The filter I cleaned was the case drain filter there is on located just under the seat and it is brass inside an Aluminum case.
If there was metal in the system, honestly, the pump should have come out to be cleaned. The case drain filter will catch any metal getting into the case drain line, but not the main return hose from the motor that goes to the pump without filtering. Both big hoses go in and out depending on what direction you are moving, but they are not filtered.
There is a possiblilty the shuttle valve in the motor has something stuck in it. I don't think a replenishing valve would cause a build up of pressure, but a shuttle could, making the case drain port be over pressurized and blowing the carrier seal out.

OP
OP
A

Alerion

If there was metal in the system, honestly, the pump should have come out to be cleaned. The case drain filter will catch any metal getting into the case drain line, but not the main return hose from the motor that goes to the pump without filtering. Both big hoses go in and out depending on what direction you are moving, but they are not filtered.
There is a possiblilty the shuttle valve in the motor has something stuck in it. I don't think a replenishing valve would cause a build up of pressure, but a shuttle could, making the case drain port be over pressurized and blowing the carrier seal out.
Thanks I'll check the shuttle valve Robert