873 running away

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Smz

Just had my 873 starting to blow black smoke and run away yesterday. By the time I got the air supply choked it seemed like it was starting too die. Checked the oil level and it is way over full. Still turns over but I haven't tried more than a couple seconds, it sounds odd. Turbo has maybe 30 hrs on it along with head gaskets and belt. Other than correcting oil level what should be my next step? Thanks for any help. 2002 with deutz

Tazza

Staff member
You mention the oil level was high, does it smell of fuel? I wonder if you have a leaky injector or lift pump allowing fuel to get into the engine oil that may have gotten into the cylinders causing the runaway.

OP
OP
S

Smz

You mention the oil level was high, does it smell of fuel? I wonder if you have a leaky injector or lift pump allowing fuel to get into the engine oil that may have gotten into the cylinders causing the runaway.
Took about a gallon and half of oil out to get to normal level. I am sure it is fuel diluted

walio123

Replase lifting fuel pump and check turbo for wear
A leaky ejector is almost impossible to fill so much diesel in the oil. Such a quantity of fuel would cause a water stroke in that cylinder.Liftintg pump is faulty. Check the turbo, because working with such rare oil may have been damaged.

OP
OP
S

Smz

A leaky ejector is almost impossible to fill so much diesel in the oil. Such a quantity of fuel would cause a water stroke in that cylinder.Liftintg pump is faulty. Check the turbo, because working with such rare oil may have been damaged.
Looking at service manual I can only find injection pump. Where is lift pump? I would assume between injection pump and tank?

walio123

Looking at service manual I can only find injection pump. Where is lift pump? I would assume between injection pump and tank?
Above the fuel filter, if you pass a hand over the hose that goes up from the fuel filter, you will see lift pump. It is mounted with two bolts directly to the engine block and takes motion from the camshaft.

farmshop

Above the fuel filter, if you pass a hand over the hose that goes up from the fuel filter, you will see lift pump. It is mounted with two bolts directly to the engine block and takes motion from the camshaft.
Replace all the oil and be ready for it to run away again on restart. Hopefully you caught it soon enough. We had a oil cooled duetz run away in a teleloader and it wrecked the engine

OP
OP
S

Smz

Replace all the oil and be ready for it to run away again on restart. Hopefully you caught it soon enough. We had a oil cooled duetz run away in a teleloader and it wrecked the engine
Good news! Corrected oil level and after a bit of belching, started right up. From what I can tell on this motor the lift pump must be unit between primer bulb and fuel filter, right above dipstick. Two reverse torx hold in on.pictures I saw online of replacement look more like a regular mechanical fuel pump. This has a black disc on top of a round cover with 6 phillips screws which clamp it to base which is bolted to block with torx. Nice to get lucky once in awhile!

walio123

Good news! Corrected oil level and after a bit of belching, started right up. From what I can tell on this motor the lift pump must be unit between primer bulb and fuel filter, right above dipstick. Two reverse torx hold in on.pictures I saw online of replacement look more like a regular mechanical fuel pump. This has a black disc on top of a round cover with 6 phillips screws which clamp it to base which is bolted to block with torx. Nice to get lucky once in awhile!
Yes it is a lift pump. If everything is fine, be careful not to fill the fuel again in the oil ... Did you find the reason for it?(probably the lift pump) / Change the engine oil and the oil filter, because if you just drained from the oil it is diluted and the engine will not work long like that .

Tazza

Staff member
Yes it is a lift pump. If everything is fine, be careful not to fill the fuel again in the oil ... Did you find the reason for it?(probably the lift pump) / Change the engine oil and the oil filter, because if you just drained from the oil it is diluted and the engine will not work long like that .
Walio - you are right, i meant to say the injector pump could have leaked, not just the injector :(
Get the oil changed, diluted oil with fuel will clean the inside of the engine, but it will not lubricate properly and will not last long.

OP
OP
S

Smz

Walio - you are right, i meant to say the injector pump could have leaked, not just the injector :(
Get the oil changed, diluted oil with fuel will clean the inside of the engine, but it will not lubricate properly and will not last long.
Just to further confirm what most of you already know, it was my lift pump. I removed the pump, plugged outlet line, and when I squeeze primer bulb a significant amount of fuel squirts out of the engine side. I would think it wouldn't take long to fill the engine at that rate. Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts