873 fuel shut off

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Pigfarmer

My 873 wont start. Not getting any fuel anywhere. My question right now is how does the fuel solenoid on off work?Does it push something over on the cam so it pumps or what? And how the heck would take it off?

walio123

The solenoid pushes the rake that controls the throttle levers of the injector pumps. When the ignition key is off, it locks the rake to a position that holds the throttle arms of the injector pumps in the closed fuel position. When the ignition key is on / on the newer models, it even has to rotate the starter / solenoid pushes rake and releases the throttle levers so governor is free to move rake.On old models, a click is heard when you turn the ignition switch on.Disconnect the solenoid connector and see with the tester whether there is any voltage on it when you start the starter. Solenoid holds 2 bolts, undo them and remove it. Watch out by pulling it out, there is something like a hook on the rake. Take down everything around , so you can move it and be able to unhook and then hook that hook

OP
OP
P

Pigfarmer

The solenoid pushes the rake that controls the throttle levers of the injector pumps. When the ignition key is off, it locks the rake to a position that holds the throttle arms of the injector pumps in the closed fuel position. When the ignition key is on / on the newer models, it even has to rotate the starter / solenoid pushes rake and releases the throttle levers so governor is free to move rake.On old models, a click is heard when you turn the ignition switch on.Disconnect the solenoid connector and see with the tester whether there is any voltage on it when you start the starter. Solenoid holds 2 bolts, undo them and remove it. Watch out by pulling it out, there is something like a hook on the rake. Take down everything around , so you can move it and be able to unhook and then hook that hook
thanks for the response. i have a couple more questions. i can hear the click. i'll tell where i'm at in the trouble shooting process. my bobcat wont start. so i tried bleeding one of the injectors and no fuel . so i go to fuel filter and no fuel. i take the hose off at the fuel pump going to the fuel filter and no fuel. so i take the hose that comes from the pick up tube on the fuel tank thinking i got a bad supply line and i cant get the pick up tube off on the fuel tank even with many swear words as that usually works for me. so i make my own 1 gallon tank and put the supply hose in there and still no fuel. so get a fuel pump and still no fuel. all attempts to get fuel is when i am cranking. I hope this makes sense. my question is why am i getting no fuel? could that solenoid be stuck? or maybe more serious problems. also i cant see how to get covers of for that solenoid? do i need to take the alternator off? also any swear words that someone has found useful let me know?

walio123

thanks for the response. i have a couple more questions. i can hear the click. i'll tell where i'm at in the trouble shooting process. my bobcat wont start. so i tried bleeding one of the injectors and no fuel . so i go to fuel filter and no fuel. i take the hose off at the fuel pump going to the fuel filter and no fuel. so i take the hose that comes from the pick up tube on the fuel tank thinking i got a bad supply line and i cant get the pick up tube off on the fuel tank even with many swear words as that usually works for me. so i make my own 1 gallon tank and put the supply hose in there and still no fuel. so get a fuel pump and still no fuel. all attempts to get fuel is when i am cranking. I hope this makes sense. my question is why am i getting no fuel? could that solenoid be stuck? or maybe more serious problems. also i cant see how to get covers of for that solenoid? do i need to take the alternator off? also any swear words that someone has found useful let me know?
If there is air in the system with cranking to clear air becomes very difficult.Solenoid can not be the reason for what you describe. You just have no access to fuel. Remove from rubber priming pump the hose that comes from the tank and . In his place, hook a hose from your temporary tank. The fuel filter on top should have a copper bolt, unscrew it 2-3 full turns. Press the pump 10-15 times, through the bolt should flow clean, without bubles fuel. Tighten the screw. If it does not fuel flow , then the rubber pump is wrong. The next point is to remowe te the hose that goes to injector pumps.Press priming pump 7-8 times, from hose must flow fuel. If there is not , then you must check lift pump mesh filter / it is under black plastic cap on lift pump/. Next point is to unscrew high pressure pipes from injector and crank for 10-15 sec. There must be fuel flow.If there is not only theen you have to check solenoid.If there is a fuel tighten high pressure pipes a try to run engine. I think you have pluged tank line or empty hose from tank to prime pump and pump can not suck fuel. Let it work for 3-4 minutes. If he works well, he disconnects the time of the ticket and hooks his. If it keeps running for 3-4 minutes then it's all right if it goes out, it's got a clogged line of the tank or a suck of air somewhere from the line between the tank and lift pump.

OP
OP
P

Pigfarmer

If there is air in the system with cranking to clear air becomes very difficult.Solenoid can not be the reason for what you describe. You just have no access to fuel. Remove from rubber priming pump the hose that comes from the tank and . In his place, hook a hose from your temporary tank. The fuel filter on top should have a copper bolt, unscrew it 2-3 full turns. Press the pump 10-15 times, through the bolt should flow clean, without bubles fuel. Tighten the screw. If it does not fuel flow , then the rubber pump is wrong. The next point is to remowe te the hose that goes to injector pumps.Press priming pump 7-8 times, from hose must flow fuel. If there is not , then you must check lift pump mesh filter / it is under black plastic cap on lift pump/. Next point is to unscrew high pressure pipes from injector and crank for 10-15 sec. There must be fuel flow.If there is not only theen you have to check solenoid.If there is a fuel tighten high pressure pipes a try to run engine. I think you have pluged tank line or empty hose from tank to prime pump and pump can not suck fuel. Let it work for 3-4 minutes. If he works well, he disconnects the time of the ticket and hooks his. If it keeps running for 3-4 minutes then it's all right if it goes out, it's got a clogged line of the tank or a suck of air somewhere from the line between the tank and lift pump.
thanks for your help I'm going to have to get a new primer bulb. when got my new pump the bulb cracked so i took it out. it will be next week. I'll post up hopefully with good news

OP
OP
P

Pigfarmer

thanks for your help I'm going to have to get a new primer bulb. when got my new pump the bulb cracked so i took it out. it will be next week. I'll post up hopefully with good news
can i get one off of amazon or something or does it need to be from bobcat?

bobbie-g

can i get one off of amazon or something or does it need to be from bobcat?
Fuel primer bulb: I always use Bobcat parts on my 863G and other machines, but I'm a gentleman-farmer that never had to turn a profit in my life. Having said that, this bulb this isn't rocket science. The primer bulb just has a one-way valve in it and moves diesel thru it when you squeeze it. Any primer bulb that fits should work fine. I think it's a 5/16" hose in and out. :) ---Bobbie-G

OP
OP
P

Pigfarmer

Fuel primer bulb: I always use Bobcat parts on my 863G and other machines, but I'm a gentleman-farmer that never had to turn a profit in my life. Having said that, this bulb this isn't rocket science. The primer bulb just has a one-way valve in it and moves diesel thru it when you squeeze it. Any primer bulb that fits should work fine. I think it's a 5/16" hose in and out. :) ---Bobbie-G
well any kind of farmer is is better than not having any farmers. has anyone ever done efuel on one of these? maybe a thread somewhere?