864 engine oil consumption

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ram12v

I recently purchased a 2000 bobcat 864. It has the deutz oil cooled engine with about 1800 hours on it. The engine puts out an excessivly heavy, constant blue gray colored smoke out the exhaust. It uses oil at the rate of about three quarts of oil an hour. We pulled the turbo, It was shot, intake manifold had a lot of oil in it so I assumed the turbo was the problem. Installed new turbo, no improvement. Removed and checked the pcv system. Checked compression, 360 to 402 psi. across the cylinders. Checked for leaks and installed new muffler, again no improvement. Removed oil fill cap and dipstick, it has a lot of crankcase pressure at idle, so much that you can feel it coming out of oil fill at a distance of 12 inches away from it. with a light spray of oil coming out of dipstick hole. This machine starts when cold and runs as good as I would expect a new one to, with no missing, loss of power or overheating. I am reluctant to pull the engine and tear down for an overhaul because of the compression and performance of the engine. I am now thinking head or gasket failure because of the crankcase pressure. Anyone out there ever seen this problem with this engine before? Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

sterlclan

do you know the service history??? a plugged air filter will cause wear at a rapid rate. sounds like the rings are weak with that much blow by. is the breather tube form the engine plugged or pinched ?

OP
OP
R

ram12v

do you know the service history??? a plugged air filter will cause wear at a rapid rate. sounds like the rings are weak with that much blow by. is the breather tube form the engine plugged or pinched ?
No I do not know the service history, I bought this loader at an auction. Where is the breather tube you are referring to? Thanks

sterlclan

No I do not know the service history, I bought this loader at an auction. Where is the breather tube you are referring to? Thanks
not too sure exactly where on that particular engine but most times it comes off the valve cover and exits the machine below the oil pan somewhere someone here may know more specifics.......

siduramaxde

not too sure exactly where on that particular engine but most times it comes off the valve cover and exits the machine below the oil pan somewhere someone here may know more specifics.......
The 864 duetz motor is oil cooled so I would bet money that it is a head gasket!!!!

Tazza

Staff member
It turned out to be worn pistons and rings. Thanks.
Seriously? it only had 1800 hours!!!! It should have done at least 3 times that many hours before it needed working on.
Depending on what you are doing to repair it, check your air intake line, for it to wear that fast the engine may have been dusted.

siduramaxde

Seriously? it only had 1800 hours!!!! It should have done at least 3 times that many hours before it needed working on.
Depending on what you are doing to repair it, check your air intake line, for it to wear that fast the engine may have been dusted.
must have been lack of maintenance. Maybe someone forgot to put air filter on or didn't get it on correctly. Is the secondary air filter installed?

OP
OP
R

ram12v

must have been lack of maintenance. Maybe someone forgot to put air filter on or didn't get it on correctly. Is the secondary air filter installed?
Just thought I would let anyone know who is interested that there is a lot easier way to remove the engine in this loader than what the service manual shows. You can pull the engine and leave the hydro unit in the machine. I done it in about one hour by myself without having to remove the tracks and disconnect all the hydro lines and steering linkages etc. There also is no need for the offset jig to remove the engine when done this way, a short chain works great. Also, I done some looking around and got a complete overhaul kit complete with pistons, rings, rod and main bearings,cam bushings, rod bushings, valves,valve springs and tappets, timing belt and tensioner, oil pump and all gaskets and seals,all genuine deutz parts for about 40% the cost I could get them elsewhere. I would post the link for these parts but I do not know if it is allowed. Thanks for the replies.

mllud

Just thought I would let anyone know who is interested that there is a lot easier way to remove the engine in this loader than what the service manual shows. You can pull the engine and leave the hydro unit in the machine. I done it in about one hour by myself without having to remove the tracks and disconnect all the hydro lines and steering linkages etc. There also is no need for the offset jig to remove the engine when done this way, a short chain works great. Also, I done some looking around and got a complete overhaul kit complete with pistons, rings, rod and main bearings,cam bushings, rod bushings, valves,valve springs and tappets, timing belt and tensioner, oil pump and all gaskets and seals,all genuine deutz parts for about 40% the cost I could get them elsewhere. I would post the link for these parts but I do not know if it is allowed. Thanks for the replies.
People post links all the time. I believe its allowed. Mike

oldfarmer

I'd be very interested in where you got those parts. I also just bought an 864 at an auction. has 5k hours, so I'm expecting to replace tracks and do some engine work in the near future.. * ( I already know I need new tracks and sprockets) any pointers will save me some time, and that's a good thing thanks JD the oldfarmer

ks9065

ram12v we bought a 863 with the same problem that you were having. Did it fix your 864 when you overhauled it? Did you have to bore the cylinders and sleeve it or did you just hone it and put new piston and rings in it?

Latest posts