863 F Hyd filter change

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tlawdogg

Hello group,
Hope all is well. I am going to change the hydraulic filters (Two) on my 1998 863 F series. I do not know the hours or last time they were changed. They are really tight (I know like everything else under cab). Is there any tricks or tips to pass on before I start on this? When I unscrew one or both will it drain the tank or cooler?
Also, I have a hose leak and I can not find it on my schematic anywhere? It comes off (nipple) the left top of Pump and goes under the left side to a mount with a plug. Some sensor? I will add a picture or two.
Thank you in advance.
Todd

Attachments

• 20230510_181911.jpg
    20230510_181911.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230510_181549.jpg
    20230510_181549.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 85

brdgbldr

Anytime I remove hoses, I use caps and plugs to stop the hydraulic fluid from leaking everywhere. And don't forget to replace the O-rings in the in-line filters if you are replacing the filter housing.

I believe that the photo is showing the hydrostatic charge pressure sender and hose.
I included an illustration but I'm not sure it matches your serial number. You are looking at the hose and cover are numbers 20 and 50. The sender is number 23.

Attachments

• 863 sender.pdf
    180.9 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
T

Tlawdogg

Yes, #20 is the hose that is leaking.
Thank you!
As far as the Hydraulic filters (large canisters look like oil filters) is there a trick to getting them out? I have two ? Once removed (I can't plug those) will it drain?
Thank you again!
Todd

brdgbldr

Yes, #20 is the hose that is leaking.
Thank you!
As far as the Hydraulic filters (large canisters look like oil filters) is there a trick to getting them out? I have two ? Once removed (I can't plug those) will it drain?
Thank you again!
Todd
I've never changed the canister filters on that model. I would suggest only removing one at a time and have the new filter ready to go on. From what I could find it sounds like no matter what you try it is going to make a mess and drain your oil cooler.

If by "tight" you mean hard to unscrew, you will just have to find a filter wrench that works. Strap type filter wrenches will be able to keep getting tighter no matter how much the filter crushes. If you mean "tight" as in hard to get to, that is just the nature of the beast.

There is a little trick you can try for getting some of the oil out of the filter before removing them, if there is room. However, you may still drain all of the oil from the cooler but it may not be as messy. I will attach a video. (If you think too much oil is coming out of the filter you can just plug the holes as stated in the video.)

Don't forget about replacing your in-line filters. If the brass filters get clogged it causes all sorts of issues with the drive motors.

OP
OP
T

Tlawdogg

Great info and video!
I was meaning NO room to get to first canister hydraulic filter let alone the Second one next to it. Lol.
Great reminder of the TWO in-line (One each line to drive motor) filters which also need cleaning/replacing.
Stay Safe!