853 leaking oil from top of drive pump on left hand control

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

B.Lade

Hi all, Having opened up the cab, I notice the top of the Sundstrand drive pump is really clean looking. Apparently that is where I am leaking some hydraulic oil. I'm curious to know how difficult it would be to replace the seal as it is starting to use a bit of oil. It's a relatively low hour machine (2100 hours) for its age( 1996) and would like to keep it in good repair. Also curious to know if there is a drain hole on the 853 as the leaking oil has been accumulating down below. The chain case is not over full so the drive pumps are apparently fine and the machine still operates perfectly. Hopefully the problem is an o-ring or similar... thanks, Burt

Tazza

Staff member
There will be covers on the belly of the machine that you can remove to get crude to drain out of there.
If the shafts are leaking on the pump, the seals can be replaced. There was a model that had secial sleeves taht needed replacing too, i don't know if it was the 853 or not.

OP
OP
B

B.Lade

There will be covers on the belly of the machine that you can remove to get crude to drain out of there.
If the shafts are leaking on the pump, the seals can be replaced. There was a model that had secial sleeves taht needed replacing too, i don't know if it was the 853 or not.
Tazza, Thanks for the reply. I did some cleaning today so on the way to getting the machine in good shape again. Hopefully the local Bobcat dealer will be helpful in regards to the leaking seal.

OP
OP
B

B.Lade

Tazza, Thanks for the reply. I did some cleaning today so on the way to getting the machine in good shape again. Hopefully the local Bobcat dealer will be helpful in regards to the leaking seal.
Here's a follow up for those with the same problem. One has to disassemble the linkage to get to the control itself. You have to pull the shaft out and replace an O-ring and another plastic ring and reassemble. When you pull out the shaft, one needs to have a plug handy as oil will pour out otherwise. Also, be sure to note which way the shaft was pulled out as I think it will work properly one way. Also be careful not to drop any parts into the abyss... It's working fine now.

Tazza

Staff member
Here's a follow up for those with the same problem. One has to disassemble the linkage to get to the control itself. You have to pull the shaft out and replace an O-ring and another plastic ring and reassemble. When you pull out the shaft, one needs to have a plug handy as oil will pour out otherwise. Also, be sure to note which way the shaft was pulled out as I think it will work properly one way. Also be careful not to drop any parts into the abyss... It's working fine now.
Glad you got it sorted out.
Yeah, don't drop anything inside, or else you have a nasty job in store to retrieve it :)