853 Drive Chain??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

farmboy55

I think I just broke my 1st drive chain, rear wheel locked up. frt one spins. getting dark so just left it sit. take the s185 and finish the job in the morn. can I take the cover off where the emergency brake is and get to the broken chain, get it out and should be able to move it I'm thinking. are the put together with a master link?? is it a big job and last ?? are all roller chains created equal like the ones at TSC or should i go to bobcat
dennis

Tazza

Staff member
The OEM chains won't have master links, they are made as one piece. There is no problem installing a master link though, i have done it before. Hopefully you can reach the back through that inspection port, it depends on how long your arms are and if you can get it over the sprocket and clear the bottom of the chain case, you need to reach all the way back so it doesn't bind up, its the hardest part i think, it took me a while and a few swear words to get it to clear.
Not all roller chain is equal, there are stronger versions, i just can't remember the code for the tougher one. Any chain and cable shop should be able to help you here though, they will know what is suitable.
Good luck!

OP
OP
F

farmboy55

The OEM chains won't have master links, they are made as one piece. There is no problem installing a master link though, i have done it before. Hopefully you can reach the back through that inspection port, it depends on how long your arms are and if you can get it over the sprocket and clear the bottom of the chain case, you need to reach all the way back so it doesn't bind up, its the hardest part i think, it took me a while and a few swear words to get it to clear.
Not all roller chain is equal, there are stronger versions, i just can't remember the code for the tougher one. Any chain and cable shop should be able to help you here though, they will know what is suitable.
Good luck!
thanks for the reply. just need to get it loaded and home in the shop. Then I'll tackle the repair some time in the future. thanks again