853 Aux hyd switch lights flashing, Perry, Farmboy, All

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

Runnig my hoe yesterday and after about 30 mins the aux hyd flow shut itself off, the two green lights where you select momentary or continous flow (beside the switch) where flashing alternately
Shut engine of reset aux hyd to cont. flow and 10 mins latre same problem, seems to shut off quicker as machine warms up.
Now today I could not get it to do anything other then it should but only had time to test it for 30 minutes. turnned the 2 green light on but did not pull the trigger on the steering lever and I was doing pallet fork work, but the lights remained both lit the entire time.
I can't find anything in my manual about what the alternating flashing code means (thinking I may have read that one in my 773 manual, its at friends house) Anyone know what these codes mean, or a likely probable cause. Loader is duo to go to a new home and I'd like to know its been repaired.
Ken

140mower

Hi Ken,
Looking through my 763 service manual, assuming things are the same it says:
Problem area; Proportional flow switch (right handle)
Problem cause; -wires disconnected
-wires shorted
-wires open
-proportional flow switch failed, check voltage to switch, perform handle test
-PWM module failed
To perform the handle test, disconnect the handle switch harness from the controls harness. Use chart to test handle switch.
Handle switch position

test between
handle wires
Full leftcenterfull right

Dk blue&
Dk blue/white

4.5-5.5
K-ohms

4.5-5.5
K-ohms

4.5-5.5
K-ohms

Dk blue/yellow
&Dk blue/white

0.5-1.5
K-ohms

2.3-2.7
K-ohms

3.5-4.5
K-ohms

Dk blue/yellow
&dk blue

3.5-4.5
K-ohms

2.3-2.7
K-ohms

0.5-1.5
K-ohms

One K-ohm is equal to 1000 ohms
Note: Push the switch gradually from center to either left or right. The Ohm reading must change gradually. Replace the handle switch assembly if required.

Hopefully this helps some, if you need more info I'll try and fire up the scanner and send you a copy of what we're looking for.
Don

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

Hi Ken,
Looking through my 763 service manual, assuming things are the same it says:
Problem area; Proportional flow switch (right handle)
Problem cause; -wires disconnected
-wires shorted
-wires open
-proportional flow switch failed, check voltage to switch, perform handle test
-PWM module failed
To perform the handle test, disconnect the handle switch harness from the controls harness. Use chart to test handle switch.
Handle switch position

test between
handle wires

Full left
center
full right

Dk blue&
Dk blue/white

4.5-5.5
K-ohms

4.5-5.5
K-ohms

4.5-5.5
K-ohms

Dk blue/yellow
&Dk blue/white

0.5-1.5
K-ohms

2.3-2.7
K-ohms

3.5-4.5
K-ohms

Dk blue/yellow
&dk blue

3.5-4.5
K-ohms

2.3-2.7
K-ohms

0.5-1.5
K-ohms

One K-ohm is equal to 1000 ohms
Note: Push the switch gradually from center to either left or right. The Ohm reading must change gradually. Replace the handle switch assembly if required.

Hopefully this helps some, if you need more info I'll try and fire up the scanner and send you a copy of what we're looking for.
Don
Thanks Don
Now I'll have to get to work. I was hoping they'd break it down more from open to shorted... etc. but thats a big step in the right direction.
Ken

140mower

Thanks Don
Now I'll have to get to work. I was hoping they'd break it down more from open to shorted... etc. but thats a big step in the right direction.
Ken
I hear ya, electrical was never my strong point, and the dang manuals always seem a little vague in that area. Hopefully the fix is a simple and low cost one.
Don

farmboy55

I hear ya, electrical was never my strong point, and the dang manuals always seem a little vague in that area. Hopefully the fix is a simple and low cost one.
Don
Hey Ken I'm not going to be any help, never have had a problem (yet) with my aux. I'm replaceing a bent hyd cylinder on my 709 today if I have a tap big enough to thread the new rod I'm making for the cylinder. Good Luck, but sorry I can't help. dennis

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

Hey Ken I'm not going to be any help, never have had a problem (yet) with my aux. I'm replaceing a bent hyd cylinder on my 709 today if I have a tap big enough to thread the new rod I'm making for the cylinder. Good Luck, but sorry I can't help. dennis
Dennis
I usually have a macine shop cut that thread for me. The first 1/4" of the outside of that inductioned hardend shafting required a cramic cutter for the lathe to machine it off. the core where you thread is soft though.
your going to need at least a 1" die
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Dennis
I usually have a macine shop cut that thread for me. The first 1/4" of the outside of that inductioned hardend shafting required a cramic cutter for the lathe to machine it off. the core where you thread is soft though.
your going to need at least a 1" die
Ken
Thats what i do too, throw the stick in the lathe and machine my own thread. That way you know its perfectly straight and you can cut the shoulder so you don't damage the seals when you slide the stick through them. You don't want any sharp edges that could damage the seal.
Good luck with it.

farmboy55

Thats what i do too, throw the stick in the lathe and machine my own thread. That way you know its perfectly straight and you can cut the shoulder so you don't damage the seals when you slide the stick through them. You don't want any sharp edges that could damage the seal.
Good luck with it.
That's what I did, cuz has a machine shop. No Charge even. That makes it even better. dennis

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

PS: my 709 has a bolt instead of a nut on the end of the cylinder rod, instead of a nut like most have that I've worked on.
Thats a different way of skinning the cat. Btw which cylinder. Never seen one with a bolt.
I need to make a new bucket cylinder ram for my 709. Previous owner installed in ground vehicle hoists in existing garages and the ram got beat up on the concrete edge of the excavation. The upside was the rest of the hoe seen very little use.
Ken

farmboy55

Thats a different way of skinning the cat. Btw which cylinder. Never seen one with a bolt.
I need to make a new bucket cylinder ram for my 709. Previous owner installed in ground vehicle hoists in existing garages and the ram got beat up on the concrete edge of the excavation. The upside was the rest of the hoe seen very little use.
Ken
I've resealed 2 on the 3 on the main part and they both have a bolt, not resealed the bucket cylinder yet. So I must use a lathe to drill it for the tap.
Looks like we have took off in a diff. direction on this post sorry. so how is the repair going on the aux lights?? dennis

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

I've resealed 2 on the 3 on the main part and they both have a bolt, not resealed the bucket cylinder yet. So I must use a lathe to drill it for the tap.
Looks like we have took off in a diff. direction on this post sorry. so how is the repair going on the aux lights?? dennis
No problem on the hi jack, we get a little side tracked here sometime too.
Finally got to test it myself last nite. Hoe run fine for 30 mins, then I put the bucket on but left the aux hyd activated (but did not activate the trigger on the steering lever) another 30 mins or so later the flashing started. Sometimes fast ie,
top lite on, then lower on top off, the top again, less then 1 seconds to repeat.
However later (10 more mins and after some playing with aux button and steering trigger) it when to a slower cycling of around 2.5 second. Turning the key off will reset to normal occasionally but vary seldom. Seem to be a problem with things warming up, as today now it was back to normal. Though I never used the aux or run the machine for more then 10 minutes at a time.
Ideas?? going to call my favourite dealer and annoy them with dumb question in the morning.
I have yet to break out the multi meter, but can't help but thing there is a probable cause for this symptom.
Thanks
Ken

140mower

No problem on the hi jack, we get a little side tracked here sometime too.
Finally got to test it myself last nite. Hoe run fine for 30 mins, then I put the bucket on but left the aux hyd activated (but did not activate the trigger on the steering lever) another 30 mins or so later the flashing started. Sometimes fast ie,
top lite on, then lower on top off, the top again, less then 1 seconds to repeat.
However later (10 more mins and after some playing with aux button and steering trigger) it when to a slower cycling of around 2.5 second. Turning the key off will reset to normal occasionally but vary seldom. Seem to be a problem with things warming up, as today now it was back to normal. Though I never used the aux or run the machine for more then 10 minutes at a time.
Ideas?? going to call my favourite dealer and annoy them with dumb question in the morning.
I have yet to break out the multi meter, but can't help but thing there is a probable cause for this symptom.
Thanks
Ken
Hi Ken,
Almost sounds like a corroded contact or plug in there somewhere that is heating up and building resistance over time. You might try spraying some contact cleaner in there, but I'll admit I don't have much faith in those type of products as a long term solution. Hopefully you can get this sorted out without it costing you an arm and a leg.
Don

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

Hi Ken,
Almost sounds like a corroded contact or plug in there somewhere that is heating up and building resistance over time. You might try spraying some contact cleaner in there, but I'll admit I don't have much faith in those type of products as a long term solution. Hopefully you can get this sorted out without it costing you an arm and a leg.
Don
Well I called my favourite dealer and they said likely $175 module on the frame by the hyd filters.
So I went and looked on mine, none there. Mine has module under cab behind operators left shoulder, aluminum box 7 by 4 by 2, 3 wire harnesses coming out of it, $500.00
Non returnable unless dealer installed, (did I mention my favourite dealer is 300 miles away)
So anyway they faxed me 8 pages from a 873 manual (which has lots of detail, my 853 manual has notihing on aux switches and codes) to trouble shoot.
Then I go down the road to a local guy who bought a 853 from the local stealer who kinda owes me one for coming down to help him fix something the local dealer would'nt and talk him into borrowing his module. Put it in, same symtoms.
So according to the fax, the flashing code I'm getting can also be a poor conection or broken wire, so I checked the harness coming from the steering lever and imediately the lights begins to flash. Presto, 1 orange wire with pierced insulation has about 5 strands left connected.
Sodered in new piece of wire, mowed brush for @ 1 hour and no trouble yet. Fingers stilled crossed but I think I got it. Whew, I'm really starting to hate Bobcat "modules"
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Well I called my favourite dealer and they said likely $175 module on the frame by the hyd filters.
So I went and looked on mine, none there. Mine has module under cab behind operators left shoulder, aluminum box 7 by 4 by 2, 3 wire harnesses coming out of it, $500.00
Non returnable unless dealer installed, (did I mention my favourite dealer is 300 miles away)
So anyway they faxed me 8 pages from a 873 manual (which has lots of detail, my 853 manual has notihing on aux switches and codes) to trouble shoot.
Then I go down the road to a local guy who bought a 853 from the local stealer who kinda owes me one for coming down to help him fix something the local dealer would'nt and talk him into borrowing his module. Put it in, same symtoms.
So according to the fax, the flashing code I'm getting can also be a poor conection or broken wire, so I checked the harness coming from the steering lever and imediately the lights begins to flash. Presto, 1 orange wire with pierced insulation has about 5 strands left connected.
Sodered in new piece of wire, mowed brush for @ 1 hour and no trouble yet. Fingers stilled crossed but I think I got it. Whew, I'm really starting to hate Bobcat "modules"
Ken
Glad you got it sorted out.
I'm dreading the day when they start using common rail on the engines and attach computers to control it. There are enough things in them now that cause havoc.
I'll stick with my trusty 743 with manual controls that any idiot with a screw driver can work on!

perry

Glad you got it sorted out.
I'm dreading the day when they start using common rail on the engines and attach computers to control it. There are enough things in them now that cause havoc.
I'll stick with my trusty 743 with manual controls that any idiot with a screw driver can work on!
Well said Tazza, now that mine is working, I believe it was the back up alarm switches that connect to the drive cables. I left them loose and they probably shorted out?, also bought electrical connection cleaner from radio shack, disconnected and cleaned them all.
Everything I've learned so far is from Tazza, farmboy and you ken, plus working on the thing.

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

Well said Tazza, now that mine is working, I believe it was the back up alarm switches that connect to the drive cables. I left them loose and they probably shorted out?, also bought electrical connection cleaner from radio shack, disconnected and cleaned them all.
Everything I've learned so far is from Tazza, farmboy and you ken, plus working on the thing.
Perry
After this post I ended up changing the wire harness plug coming from the Rh steering lever to and it has been ok for the last 8 weeks, so I think I finnaly got it licked.
I wonder if you reverse alarm switches shorting was causing the voltage to dip to low and setting the computer off? You would think they would be on a different circuit and would just blow the fuse.
On another note I guess I need to talk to McClaren about wheel spacers, their retail is below my cost.???
I'm going to start a new thread on the fun I having with my 773g and he aux hyd sticking on it.

Have a good day
Ken

perry

Perry
After this post I ended up changing the wire harness plug coming from the Rh steering lever to and it has been ok for the last 8 weeks, so I think I finnaly got it licked.
I wonder if you reverse alarm switches shorting was causing the voltage to dip to low and setting the computer off? You would think they would be on a different circuit and would just blow the fuse.
On another note I guess I need to talk to McClaren about wheel spacers, their retail is below my cost.???
I'm going to start a new thread on the fun I having with my 773g and he aux hyd sticking on it.

Have a good day
Ken
The alarm switches were just hanging down and one was shorter than the other, fitting only one way. I guess with the vibration they shorted?, anyway, so far so good.
Driving out Sunday to look at the grapple, which needs repair, and the tracks. The fella said he had the spacers so I'll see how it all looks?.
Thanks.....

Latest posts