843 Park Brake Stuck

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I have an 843 that had a park brake that would not actuate, it has the manual brake pedal that is connected to a lever arm via a threaded rod. We used a small spacer on the treaded rod to get a little "extra" pull on the rod and it caused the brake to lock up. the lever arm moves freely, however the brake will not release. I have opened the front chain case inspection cover to gain access to the brake, and cannot get it to release by turning the "cam" that is attached to the brake caliper assembly. Without removing the pumps and releasing the brake, it is impossible to remove the chaincase cover that the brake assembly is attached to. Anyone seen this style brake lock up before? Any ideas for releasing it besides cutting the rotors to disassemble/replace?

Tazza

Staff member
I have never had one lock up on me before, it souunds like there was a bur or rust on the mechanism that when you over extended it got stuck.
The only thing i can think of is to remove the arm and the large bolts that hold the parts inside the chain case. WIth them out, you should be able to lift the cover off and the locked up parts will stay in the chain case attached to the brake discs, you can then work on freeing them up.
Hopefully some of that makes sense.

jz01

I have never had one lock up on me before, it souunds like there was a bur or rust on the mechanism that when you over extended it got stuck.
The only thing i can think of is to remove the arm and the large bolts that hold the parts inside the chain case. WIth them out, you should be able to lift the cover off and the locked up parts will stay in the chain case attached to the brake discs, you can then work on freeing them up.
Hopefully some of that makes sense.
does the arm come up just by taking the top cover out?