843 Latches

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

greggo

Hello to all: What a great forum,just what I needed.This is my first post and my first skid steer so I hope I get the terminology right.I just picked up a Bobcat 843 and I need new latches(That lock down the bucket?)dealers quote over $500 ouch! is there anyplace to get them cheaper?I've been looking on the web but no luck.Doe's the bob-tach system work on the 843.Any help would be great! Thanks Greg

Tazza

Staff member
Whats wrong with your current ones?
They are a pretty simple setup, levers, springs and wedges. Are yours missing or stuck?
$500 is a bit steep!

OP
OP
G

greggo

Whats wrong with your current ones?
They are a pretty simple setup, levers, springs and wedges. Are yours missing or stuck?
$500 is a bit steep!
Hi Tazza: Right side: Handle and wedge are there ,spring and other components rusted out Left side: Handle there,everything else is missing or rusted out The dealer priced it out at $536.33 for both with tax.Does anyone sell after market? or is there a used junk yard for construction equipment around? I agree theres not much to the set up. Thanks Greg

skidsteer.ca

Hi Tazza: Right side: Handle and wedge are there ,spring and other components rusted out Left side: Handle there,everything else is missing or rusted out The dealer priced it out at $536.33 for both with tax.Does anyone sell after market? or is there a used junk yard for construction equipment around? I agree theres not much to the set up. Thanks Greg
Not likely any aftermarket, just used or home made, may fit from other models in those years.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Not likely any aftermarket, just used or home made, may fit from other models in those years.
Ken
Sadly thats about the only way around it. Unless you have a friend with a machine shop? The setup os very simple if you have the older style. You at least have the levers and a wedge. The other part is so very simple. Basically a bolt, spring and block of steel.
I believe the parts are the same as in 743s have too.

OP
OP
G

greggo

Sadly thats about the only way around it. Unless you have a friend with a machine shop? The setup os very simple if you have the older style. You at least have the levers and a wedge. The other part is so very simple. Basically a bolt, spring and block of steel.
I believe the parts are the same as in 743s have too.
I'm going to dig into it today to see what I can salvage and clean up.Anybody know what other models use the same set up? Thanks Greg

OP
OP
G

greggo

I'm going to dig into it today to see what I can salvage and clean up.Anybody know what other models use the same set up? Thanks Greg
The way the past owner held down the bucket was with a couple of 3/4" bolts thru a flange on thebottom of the bucket.I don't see any aux.hydraulics on this loader so do I really need the latches?The only other attachment I'm going to put on is a Rock Bucket and maybe a bucket with teeth. Thanks Greg

bobbie-g

The way the past owner held down the bucket was with a couple of 3/4" bolts thru a flange on thebottom of the bucket.I don't see any aux.hydraulics on this loader so do I really need the latches?The only other attachment I'm going to put on is a Rock Bucket and maybe a bucket with teeth. Thanks Greg
Greggo -- I have the complete Bobtach assembly (plate, levers, springs, pins, etc) from a T180. Bushings are worn (where it attaches to the lift arms), plate is bent, but the latches/springs/pins are all OK. One of the lever handles is bent a bit. First step: you could call your Bobcat dealer and ask about the part numbers for the 863 and for the T180 to see if they're the same. If so, we could go from there. RMGHORM at GMAILdotCOM. :) ---RC

mrfixitpaul

Greggo -- I have the complete Bobtach assembly (plate, levers, springs, pins, etc) from a T180. Bushings are worn (where it attaches to the lift arms), plate is bent, but the latches/springs/pins are all OK. One of the lever handles is bent a bit. First step: you could call your Bobcat dealer and ask about the part numbers for the 863 and for the T180 to see if they're the same. If so, we could go from there. RMGHORM at GMAILdotCOM. :) ---RC
The 843 is way different than the newer machines, bobtach and most everything else. The parts from 540, 640, 740 series bobtach 'should' interchange with the 843.

OP
OP
G

greggo

Bobbie-g: Sorry it took so long to get back.How is the bob-tach system different than the original system? I cleaned everything up and basically need everything after the levers. I don't have aux.fittings so I'm wondering if I need the latches at all?About how much were you looking for for your parts if they fit? I'm going to the dealer this week so i'll ask him about the fit. Also my loader is an 843 not 863 if thet makes a difference

Tazza

Staff member
Bobbie-g: Sorry it took so long to get back.How is the bob-tach system different than the original system? I cleaned everything up and basically need everything after the levers. I don't have aux.fittings so I'm wondering if I need the latches at all?About how much were you looking for for your parts if they fit? I'm going to the dealer this week so i'll ask him about the fit. Also my loader is an 843 not 863 if thet makes a difference
The older ones used square stock for the wedges, the newer ones used round wedges for the pin. I'd suspect yours is the older square ones.

OP
OP
G

greggo

The older ones used square stock for the wedges, the newer ones used round wedges for the pin. I'd suspect yours is the older square ones.
Ahh got it! Mine are the old square type wedge or whats left of it lol. What exactly does the handle assembly do?Don't they just lock the bucket in place with a wedge or pin at the bottom slot in the bucket? What if I fabracated some 3/4" steel pipe to lock the bucket in from the top? Just an L shaped piece X " long' 90degree elbow on top add a short nipple tap it into the bucket call it a day.It wont be as fast as the regular set up but I'm not changing over that much anyway. Thank You Greg

skidsteer.ca

Ahh got it! Mine are the old square type wedge or whats left of it lol. What exactly does the handle assembly do?Don't they just lock the bucket in place with a wedge or pin at the bottom slot in the bucket? What if I fabracated some 3/4" steel pipe to lock the bucket in from the top? Just an L shaped piece X " long' 90degree elbow on top add a short nipple tap it into the bucket call it a day.It wont be as fast as the regular set up but I'm not changing over that much anyway. Thank You Greg
You will need something to hold the pin down into the bucket though as there is upward force onit if you back drag with the bottom of the bucket. Thats why the handles, they go over center to look the pin down.

OP
OP
G

greggo

You will need something to hold the pin down into the bucket though as there is upward force onit if you back drag with the bottom of the bucket. Thats why the handles, they go over center to look the pin down.
Skidsteer.ca I was thinking of drilling a hole in the above 6" long pipe nipple and then tapping a 1/2" or 9/16" bolt right thru. Should hold it from poping up Thank You Greg

Tazza

Staff member
Skidsteer.ca I was thinking of drilling a hole in the above 6" long pipe nipple and then tapping a 1/2" or 9/16" bolt right thru. Should hold it from poping up Thank You Greg
Hopefully that will be strong enough to handle the upward force. A machine i bought had the levers removed and they simply welded a plate above the wedge so it couldn't go higher. As you can tell, the bucket was there to stay....

OP
OP
G

greggo

Hopefully that will be strong enough to handle the upward force. A machine i bought had the levers removed and they simply welded a plate above the wedge so it couldn't go higher. As you can tell, the bucket was there to stay....
I'LL give it a shot I got nothing to loose.Wont know for a while thou I sent the cylinder in to get rebuilt.wont get it back till next week. Thanks Greg

bobbie-g

I'LL give it a shot I got nothing to loose.Wont know for a while thou I sent the cylinder in to get rebuilt.wont get it back till next week. Thanks Greg
Greggo, my T180 pins are round. Sorry. :-( ---RC