843 Electronics Diagnosing

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Auggie

Trying to figure out some electronic issues on my 843, could use some guidance:

When I remove the chassis ground from the negative battery terminal: Voltage btw terminal and chassis ground reads about 3-4 volts. so it's shorting to ground somewhere.

Traced it to the alternator. When I disconnect power from the alternator, negative batt terminal to chassis reads 0V. Connect the alternator, and that voltage spikes to like 10V and then quickly decreases to about 3-4V. So it seems the Alternator is shorting to ground, right? this is with all other wires to the alternator disconnected.

Is there a way to track down where the short is inside the alternator, or should I just replace it? The machine will run, but I'm not sure if the battery is charging while it's running

other thing is that I was getting a slow voltage leak from the glow plugs. The glow plugs were off, but voltage between the two battery terminals would slowly drop from 12 to 10V over about a minute. It stopped draining when I disconnected the glow plug wire, so I figured the glow plugs were shorting somewhere. Is this fix to remove and replace all the glow plugs or is there a way to troubleshoot it? Can I do that without removing the engine?

thanks

SkidRoe

It sounds like the alternator field windings are receiving power when the key is shut off. The short maybe within the ignition switch - my guess...

Latest posts