843 Axle wear sleeve

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Harburmaster

Hi Everyone, First time post. I have an 843 with the old style axles. I've removed the rear axle that had a leaking seal. The seal surface is trashed. It has gouges out of it. It looks like whoever had the axle out last messed it up. So I figured I'd get the Bobcat axle wear sleeve, Part number 6558693 "Bushing Wear". I expected it to be like a speedy sleeve, but this one is .0625 thick. It seems like I need to turn the shaft seal surface down to get this sleeve on the axle. Has anyone else had this experience? Where did you have it done? What should I expect to pay? Etc. Is there an easier solution? (I can't afford a new axle) Thanks for your time Dave

OP
OP
H

Harburmaster

I figured it out. The original axles come with a wear ring installed. I didn't realize it looking at the axle. All I need to do is cut off the old wear ring and press on the new ring. Happy Bobcating everyone. Dave

flyerdan

Yeah, that sounds like it will need about a sixteenth skimmed off. Small job, you might check with nextdoor or any facebook group for your local town and see if anyone has a home lathe that would be willing to do it. A lot of times retired guys will do little projects just to stay in the game.
Failing that, you could find a machine shop, either through the yellow pages or suggestions from auto parts stores or the Harley shop. Back in the day lots of machine shops had an old Clausing set up in a corner for walk ins so they could do those couple minute jobs without tearing down a current job setup.
At any rate, whoever turns it will need the sleeve as well to get the inside dimension even if they won't install it - it needs to be about .0001" bigger than the inside so it will grip.
Fortunately, I have a lathe in the shop, I'd just get the measurement, skim it, put the axle in the freezer for a while and clean the sleeve real good and heat it up in the chip cooker just before installing. It should drop right on and shrink tight, just like installing a ring gear.

Glad yours was an easier fix, I guess the above would serve as a guide for those not quite as lucky.