843 axle seal leak?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

woodhick

I have an older 843 that is leaking on a couple of the axle seals. One front and one rear. My plan is to redo all 4 with new bearings and seals while I am at it. My question is there a way to pull the rear axle and seal without pulling all the hydraulic pumps? This is my first skid steer so hope I am not asking dumb question. Mechanic skills are above average so not afraid to go after it. Looks like I will have to pull everything out to get to the rears. With front wheels off ground front tire only has about 2" of movemnet so I am okay with not putting in new chains if I can get seals replaced without pulling everything. If i do have to pull it pumps then I will most likely change everything while I am in there. Thanks for any advice and tips. woodhick

Tazza

Staff member
I have never done an 843 before, so i am not 100% on this.
The fronts should have decent access, the rears are where the problems are as you know.
On 743 machines, it is possible to drop the chaincase so you can roll it out from underneath and work on it. Support the machine, un-do the bolts holding the chaincase on. Remove the hoses to the drive motors, the front mount to the pumps and the lift spool control arm. It should drop out.
The 843 may have a different setup for the pumps, the 743 could be supported with wire and a metal bar for when the chaincase is rolled out.
Does it look like yours may be able to be done this way too?
There is a post on here of 2 members that did this job, it was very well done.
The chaincases i have worked on for 743s i was lucky enough to have it pulled right down so i could lift it up to mess with chains and sprockets, so much easier!