7775 or LS160 Brush Cutter Conversion

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

B-Edwards

I finally got a used 6' King Kutter to use with my John Deere 7775 which is basically an LS160. I have a technical manual for it and it says it produces 17gpm with a min of 14gpm, 2600 relief psi. I called surplus center and they told me they get around 20 calls a week for this. They need to know the torque of the brush cutter and i have no idea how to answer that question??? I know theres a few guys here who have converted brush cutters for use with an ls160. Can any of you help me with the hydraulic motor i need for a 6 foot king kutter?

deaop06

I did a 5' for mine. You need a motor to match 540 PTO speed or 1000 if the brush hog is rated for that. I had 14 gal and 2000 psi. Mine cuts brush good. I have to run full speed in grass and go slow or it will bog down. Try to get a motor with the highest torque rating for your flow rate and psi. I rotated the gear box 180* on mine and put in all new seals. I got almost everything from Surplus Center and they never ask me about torque. Good luck.

OP
OP
B

B-Edwards

I did a 5' for mine. You need a motor to match 540 PTO speed or 1000 if the brush hog is rated for that. I had 14 gal and 2000 psi. Mine cuts brush good. I have to run full speed in grass and go slow or it will bog down. Try to get a motor with the highest torque rating for your flow rate and psi. I rotated the gear box 180* on mine and put in all new seals. I got almost everything from Surplus Center and they never ask me about torque. Good luck.
I called last year and spoke with a fellow but didn't write down his name or what he told me. I told him what I planned on buying and he told me exactly what I needed and said just call back when I got the cutter. Mine is a 540 with a 40hp gearbox on it. I've got this thing figured out if they weren't complicating the hydraulic motor choice.

deaop06

I called last year and spoke with a fellow but didn't write down his name or what he told me. I told him what I planned on buying and he told me exactly what I needed and said just call back when I got the cutter. Mine is a 540 with a 40hp gearbox on it. I've got this thing figured out if they weren't complicating the hydraulic motor choice.
I don't think they have motors that would rate at 40hp. Go to their web site and look at PTO motors 9=7368-100 or 125. Read the questions. Find something that gets close and then talk to them about that motor. Your 6' would run on 20 to 40hp. All you need is the 540 to 640 rpm's to get blade speed. 25hp would do the job. Good hunting.

OP
OP
B

B-Edwards

I don't think they have motors that would rate at 40hp. Go to their web site and look at PTO motors 9=7368-100 or 125. Read the questions. Find something that gets close and then talk to them about that motor. Your 6' would run on 20 to 40hp. All you need is the 540 to 640 rpm's to get blade speed. 25hp would do the job. Good hunting.
If someone has tried to respond and couldn't, here is what I have to do to be able to post. I hit reply (then I can't type anything in the box) I hit review, then go back to edit mode and it lets me type. ***********************************************************************************_____________________________________________________________________________________ Thanks for the reply. I'll take photos as I go and hopefully I can post them here although I haven't seen anyway to post photos. (I'll check the forum for obvious procedure). Skidsteer.ca had posted on a build he did that he used on an ls160, it was a five foot model kk. He then extended the sides to make it six foot wide and I assume he also changed the blades. I plan on doing something very similar to what he did so I can cut small brush, rose bushes and briars, he exposed the front blade tips and also made a pusher bar. ____________________________________________]____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OP
OP
B

B-Edwards

If someone has tried to respond and couldn't, here is what I have to do to be able to post. I hit reply (then I can't type anything in the box) I hit review, then go back to edit mode and it lets me type. ***********************************************************************************_____________________________________________________________________________________ Thanks for the reply. I'll take photos as I go and hopefully I can post them here although I haven't seen anyway to post photos. (I'll check the forum for obvious procedure). Skidsteer.ca had posted on a build he did that he used on an ls160, it was a five foot model kk. He then extended the sides to make it six foot wide and I assume he also changed the blades. I plan on doing something very similar to what he did so I can cut small brush, rose bushes and briars, he exposed the front blade tips and also made a pusher bar. ____________________________________________]____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________________ here is the thread where skidsteer.ca posted photos of his and is exactly what I want to do. Wish he was active so as to know what he'd change now if he did it over again. Experience is the best teacher. Skidsteer.ca if you're out there please respond ;)._______________________________________________________________________________________________http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=32961

OP
OP
B

B-Edwards

________________________________________________________________________________________________ here is the thread where skidsteer.ca posted photos of his and is exactly what I want to do. Wish he was active so as to know what he'd change now if he did it over again. Experience is the best teacher. Skidsteer.ca if you're out there please respond ;)._______________________________________________________________________________________________http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=32961
I spoke with a couple of guys at surplus center today and told them what my machine puts out, 17gpm @ 2600+- 200 psi, the circuit relief is 2750+- 200 psi. I got two different recommendations on hydraulic motor size, one said an 8 cubic inch and one said 7.6. Everything I've found points to me needing a 6.2 and skidsteer.ca responded to me by email stating that he believed his unit did indeed have a 6.2 motor on it. Surplus center is definitely not what it was a year ago as far as the tech help. If any of you have an opinion on this I would appreciate it. I'm not even sure where to get the 6.2 motor as I didn't see it on surplus centers site.

OP
OP
B

B-Edwards

I spoke with a couple of guys at surplus center today and told them what my machine puts out, 17gpm @ 2600+- 200 psi, the circuit relief is 2750+- 200 psi. I got two different recommendations on hydraulic motor size, one said an 8 cubic inch and one said 7.6. Everything I've found points to me needing a 6.2 and skidsteer.ca responded to me by email stating that he believed his unit did indeed have a 6.2 motor on it. Surplus center is definitely not what it was a year ago as far as the tech help. If any of you have an opinion on this I would appreciate it. I'm not even sure where to get the 6.2 motor as I didn't see it on surplus centers site.
I went with the motor you recommended and will let you guys know how it works out. It will be a few weeks before it arrives and I get it assembled. Will take photos and if there's a way I'll post of the project for others to hopefully learn. Thanks for help

deaop06

I went with the motor you recommended and will let you guys know how it works out. It will be a few weeks before it arrives and I get it assembled. Will take photos and if there's a way I'll post of the project for others to hopefully learn. Thanks for help
I went on their site and they don't have any motors that they had when I got mine. Looks like they are using China made motors. They still have fairly good prices on fittings and hoses. I had them make almost all my hoses for my skid when I changed three of them and they fit great. The motor I got was around $185. Good luck.