7753 bobcat front hub removal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Markaldo

New here so please be gentle.. Lol. My 7753 is leaking oil on the inside of the tire so I would assume it's time to change the axle oil seal.. I pulled the tire, removed the 1 1/2 bolt that holds the hub, removed two wheel lugs and put a puller on it.. ( this is what the manual tells you to do ) cranked down on the puller and this hub does not want to budge!!! Even with a couple of blows from a 8lb hammer.. Nothing!!! Am I missing something? If I grab the hub, pull and push on it there is about 3/8 of an inch of travel back and forth.. Might it need bearings also? Oil seal was only $12 from bobcat but I think I burnt about $100 worth of patience trying to get that hub off.. Any info would be gladly appreciated

Tazza

Staff member
With that much play, i think you need bearings :(
You are on the right track, i loosen the bolt(s) holding the hub to the axle a turn or two then put two or three bottle jacks behind the hub with the pump part down so they draw in oil. Pump them up and hit the bolt(s) with a hammer, it should shock off.
153_5302.jpg

Which will leave you with:
153_5304.jpg

Tazza

Staff member
With that much play, i think you need bearings :(
You are on the right track, i loosen the bolt(s) holding the hub to the axle a turn or two then put two or three bottle jacks behind the hub with the pump part down so they draw in oil. Pump them up and hit the bolt(s) with a hammer, it should shock off.

Which will leave you with:
I hit send too quickly
To remove the axle to swap the bearings, you will need to crack the big bolt holding the sprocket on inside the chain case. I have used a big bar with holes to hold the axle studs and remove the lines to the drive motor and use a spanner inside the chain case and rotate the hub. It will be tight, super tight!
Drain the chain case before you start too, it probably is time to change the oil anyway.
It's not a hard job to do, but it will take time to do. Check the others and do them if they are also bad. May as well do the lot if they are out of spec when you have the gear out to do one.