773G Pedals Lock Problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

clintrobbins

Both the Lift Arm and Bucket Tilt pedals will lock on occasion. Turning off the machine and restarting will usually clear the problem - sometimes immediately and sometimes after a wait. The Service Code displayed when the problem occurs is 18-06 where 18 = Spool Lock Solenoid and 06 = Short to Ground. There are several solenoids on the hydraulic pump - which one is the Spool Lock Solenoid?

OldMachinist

The lock solenoid is on the control valve.
lock_solenoid.jpg

Check the wiring to the solenoid. Intermittant shorts to ground are normally a wire rubbed thru or pinched.

OP
OP
C

clintrobbins

The lock solenoid is on the control valve.

Check the wiring to the solenoid. Intermittant shorts to ground are normally a wire rubbed thru or pinched.
Thanks - where exactly is the control valve located? Is the control valve what the pedal linkages are connected to on the right side of the machine near the throttle? I won't have time to check out your picture till I return from vacation.

OP
OP
C

clintrobbins

Thanks - where exactly is the control valve located? Is the control valve what the pedal linkages are connected to on the right side of the machine near the throttle? I won't have time to check out your picture till I return from vacation.
Bump

biggie

Hey OM. I could be wrong, but I think what your pointing at in the pic is BICS Lock valve solenoid. I thought the spool lock solenoids were on the front of the valve, where the linkages hook tho the valve. The two goldish colored solenoids.

OldMachinist

Hey OM. I could be wrong, but I think what your pointing at in the pic is BICS Lock valve solenoid. I thought the spool lock solenoids were on the front of the valve, where the linkages hook tho the valve. The two goldish colored solenoids.
I assumed he had foot controls only so the BICS lock would be the only thing that would lock out the tilt and lift functions. So Clint do you only have foot controls or do you have selectable foot or hand bucket controls?

OP
OP
C

clintrobbins

I assumed he had foot controls only so the BICS lock would be the only thing that would lock out the tilt and lift functions. So Clint do you only have foot controls or do you have selectable foot or hand bucket controls?
I have foot controls only for the Lift Arms and Bucket Tilt. When the problem occurs, BOTH the lift and tilt functions are locked.

Fishfiles

I have foot controls only for the Lift Arms and Bucket Tilt. When the problem occurs, BOTH the lift and tilt functions are locked.
When it happens to you that it locks up , can you move the foot pedals and nothing happens , if so then it is the stem coil that OM is pointing to and it is locked hydraulically , if it locks up and you can't move the pedals at all then it is the solinoids on the front of the controll valve that locks the spools and it is locked up mechanically , since you say both lock up then I would think that both solinoids malfuntioning at the same time every time is highly unlikely so the problem would have to be in the wiring or from not getting the signal to release , so I would start with the seat bar sensor and work back

OP
OP
C

clintrobbins

When it happens to you that it locks up , can you move the foot pedals and nothing happens , if so then it is the stem coil that OM is pointing to and it is locked hydraulically , if it locks up and you can't move the pedals at all then it is the solinoids on the front of the controll valve that locks the spools and it is locked up mechanically , since you say both lock up then I would think that both solinoids malfuntioning at the same time every time is highly unlikely so the problem would have to be in the wiring or from not getting the signal to release , so I would start with the seat bar sensor and work back
When it locks up, neither pedal will move. If there is a problem with the seat bar sensor, could that cause the 18-06 Service Code?

bbobcat475

When it locks up, neither pedal will move. If there is a problem with the seat bar sensor, could that cause the 18-06 Service Code?
there are two coils on the very front of the control valve just behind where the linkage is pinned to the spools. Ohm test them. One or both it bad. Bobcats use charge pressure to allow valve to function when power is put to the hydraulic solenoid and mechanical locks on spools as well. better safe than sorry. Just had a guy in the area bypass them last year and was killed getting out of the machine. Not a good idea to do.

OP
OP
C

clintrobbins

there are two coils on the very front of the control valve just behind where the linkage is pinned to the spools. Ohm test them. One or both it bad. Bobcats use charge pressure to allow valve to function when power is put to the hydraulic solenoid and mechanical locks on spools as well. better safe than sorry. Just had a guy in the area bypass them last year and was killed getting out of the machine. Not a good idea to do.
Update: I just returned from vacation and the intermittent problem became a permanent problem - the alarm would sound as soon as the key was turned on. The cause of the problem was an internal short in one of the solenoids on the front of the valve as you advised. With some additional advice from the local Bobcat dealer, I was able to easily replace it myself. Thanks.

benjaminind

Can anyone Help? I have a similar problem. I have narrowed it doewn to not having any voltage coming to the spool lock solenoids. Machine is 753 skid steer, all lights light up after green button with no codes. Pedals are locked. Lock spool solenoids work when 12v is applied. Resistance is about 8 ohm on both. No voltage to either green wire on the harness side. Where does this wire come from? The controller or something else? I do not want to cut the entire loom just to trace it. Bobcat seems to think the solenoids can still be bad although they both test good and I NEVER see 12v on either green signal wire for the solenoids. All grounds have been checked and cleaned also. Safety bar and parking brake appear to work as they should based off lights and traction lock operating correctly. I can move the machine backwards and forwards but pedals are locked because the spool locks never get 12v

Tazza

Staff member
Can anyone Help? I have a similar problem. I have narrowed it doewn to not having any voltage coming to the spool lock solenoids. Machine is 753 skid steer, all lights light up after green button with no codes. Pedals are locked. Lock spool solenoids work when 12v is applied. Resistance is about 8 ohm on both. No voltage to either green wire on the harness side. Where does this wire come from? The controller or something else? I do not want to cut the entire loom just to trace it. Bobcat seems to think the solenoids can still be bad although they both test good and I NEVER see 12v on either green signal wire for the solenoids. All grounds have been checked and cleaned also. Safety bar and parking brake appear to work as they should based off lights and traction lock operating correctly. I can move the machine backwards and forwards but pedals are locked because the spool locks never get 12v
Sadly, that looks like a controller, as the lights are lit it knows the safety devices are working.
When you lower the seat bar and press the push to operate button, does the brake click off? If so, it should unlock the pedals at the same time.....
The only other possibility is a fuse, not sure if the output from the computer is fused or not, but it might be....