773C Bobcat axle seal and bearing.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

little_fellow

Good day my friends at The SkidSteer Forum. I have read a few threads on this and before I order parts could someone tell me what parts I need. I do have what seems to be close to one eighth inch play when I pull back and forth on the wheel and I have oil leaking between the hub and the axle. The parts manual shows 2 bearings, 2 race, 1 seal and 1 ring. Do I have to buy all of those?

Tazza

Staff member
You may not need the ring, it might be a wear ring.
Pull the axle axke out, replace the bearing cups and cones, re-install the axle and install the new seal. Ensure there is no end play, if there is, you need to shim the washer inside the chain case.

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

You may not need the ring, it might be a wear ring.
Pull the axle axke out, replace the bearing cups and cones, re-install the axle and install the new seal. Ensure there is no end play, if there is, you need to shim the washer inside the chain case.
Thank you Tazza. Another question. I see in the parts manual on page 285-286 a seal kit and I'm wondering. Should I get the kit or just the seal?

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

Thank you Tazza. Another question. I see in the parts manual on page 285-286 a seal kit and I'm wondering. Should I get the kit or just the seal?
Sorry. I see now. The kit is the seal and the wear ring that you mentioned Tazza. Ok. I think I just answered my own question. Thanks again.

Tazza

Staff member
Sorry. I see now. The kit is the seal and the wear ring that you mentioned Tazza. Ok. I think I just answered my own question. Thanks again.
Sorry for the late reply, glad you got it worked out.
If the axle has little to no eld float, leave the bearings alone, just do the seals.
If there is only a few thou end float, take that up with the correct washer inside the chain case or machine the old one with the required step to take the space up.

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

Sorry for the late reply, glad you got it worked out.
If the axle has little to no eld float, leave the bearings alone, just do the seals.
If there is only a few thou end float, take that up with the correct washer inside the chain case or machine the old one with the required step to take the space up.
Good day my friends. Today is beautiful in northeastern Ontario.A few thou end float, what would that equal to in inches? I would like to try and accurately check this but I don't have a dial indicator. When I push and pull on the wheel I do have what feels like 1/16 give or take inches of play. I am attempting to do a more accurate measure as we speak and I will let you know what I end up with.

OP
OP
little_fellow

little_fellow

Good day my friends. Today is beautiful in northeastern Ontario.A few thou end float, what would that equal to in inches? I would like to try and accurately check this but I don't have a dial indicator. When I push and pull on the wheel I do have what feels like 1/16 give or take inches of play. I am attempting to do a more accurate measure as we speak and I will let you know what I end up with.
And my result is 1/16 of an inch end play . I did this check with a measuring tape. Should I do a more accurate test with a dial indicator? I might be able to borrow one from a co-worker. Does this call for new bearings?

Tazza

Staff member
And my result is 1/16 of an inch end play . I did this check with a measuring tape. Should I do a more accurate test with a dial indicator? I might be able to borrow one from a co-worker. Does this call for new bearings?
You want no end play, i didn't use a dial indicator as i don't own one, i used a digital vernier to measure it.
1/16th is more than i'd like. You may get away with shiming it out, but i still feel it may be a bit much. Bobcat sells, i believe, .005 .010 and .015 washers to take up to 15 thou so i'd assume they feel that any more than that much wear, the bearings should be replaced?
Hopefully someone that knows for sure can give you advise too.
Bearing cups and cones aren't all thae expensive either, it does take some work to replace them though. You will need to fabricate some tools to pull the new cups into place though.