763 fuel pickup tube locate & replace

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Jake

ok here is my first posting.......new thread: .............The problem: I have a 1998 763 that just started acting up after refueling (I suspected there was a problem with some muck in the fuel). Starts right up - runs about 15 min - sucks the primer bulb flat - sputters to a stop - wait ~ 30 min bulb re-inflates and gives a repeat performance. After reading several threads sounda like a blocked screen on the pickup tube. So I have search this forum (great info) but have not seen a post for a 763 with the tank mounted under the engine. Yea, I am a rookie but have now received the 'diesel baptism' as I pulled the fuel plug out with a full tank of fuel - I was convinced there was water - not - only got a diesel bath! Ever try to get that bullet thingy out of the stopper and back in with one hand as you have your thumb in the tank stoppin the gusher from flowin?...............Question: Can someone confirm the location and tips to replace the pickup tube on a 763? Thanks in advance. Jake

Tazza

Staff member
Lift the cab, its behind the hydro pump, not easy to get to but it can be done with a lot of sweat and swearing. Its not a bad idea to replace the pickup tube while in there, the old rubber one hardens up, cracks and falls apart.

OP
OP
J

Jake

Lift the cab, its behind the hydro pump, not easy to get to but it can be done with a lot of sweat and swearing. Its not a bad idea to replace the pickup tube while in there, the old rubber one hardens up, cracks and falls apart.
Tazza, Thanks for the reply confirming the angle of attack is the same for the 763. I expect needle nose visegrips and a wonder bar will be needed to pull the plug.

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, Thanks for the reply confirming the angle of attack is the same for the 763. I expect needle nose visegrips and a wonder bar will be needed to pull the plug.
You may even get by with just pointy nose pliers and slide them under the gromet and lever it up and it should pop out. Getting it back in i have found to be rather difficult, especially with the hydro pump rite in the way!!! But it can be done!

bigworm1973

You may even get by with just pointy nose pliers and slide them under the gromet and lever it up and it should pop out. Getting it back in i have found to be rather difficult, especially with the hydro pump rite in the way!!! But it can be done!
I have a 853 and the pickup on it needs replacing. Would it be easier to remove the pump and motor as a whole and replace the pickup? If so, what are the steps in removing such? My hands are just too big to reach under, behind and in front of the pump and to the pickup tube.

Tazza

Staff member
I have a 853 and the pickup on it needs replacing. Would it be easier to remove the pump and motor as a whole and replace the pickup? If so, what are the steps in removing such? My hands are just too big to reach under, behind and in front of the pump and to the pickup tube.
Have you tried finding the pickup tube? i remember it being really hard, but yesterday i worked on a 751 that had a fuel pickup problem and i managed to reach over the pump and pull it out quite easily actually. Have a poke around before you remove the pump and engine as you may be lucky enough to be able to gain access pretty easily.

Fishfiles

Have you tried finding the pickup tube? i remember it being really hard, but yesterday i worked on a 751 that had a fuel pickup problem and i managed to reach over the pump and pull it out quite easily actually. Have a poke around before you remove the pump and engine as you may be lucky enough to be able to gain access pretty easily.
Worm , how's about forgetting the pickup tube on your 8 series and putting in a new one , right behind the battery is an area that is clear , if there is not a grommet and a bullet plug already there then drill a hole in the tank and install the pickup there , you will never have to fight it again

perry

Worm , how's about forgetting the pickup tube on your 8 series and putting in a new one , right behind the battery is an area that is clear , if there is not a grommet and a bullet plug already there then drill a hole in the tank and install the pickup there , you will never have to fight it again
Worm, what Fish said is the 'best' way to go, I also have an 853 and pulled the engine/hydro for the same reason. Pulling everything is really not all that difficult, the wiring is simple because plugs are different. BUT!!!, I will drill and install a new pickup close to battery, if I ever have another problem.

OP
OP
J

Jake

For future readers with a 763, access to the fuel pick up tube is awkward but not that bad. 2 bolts to Lift the cab Throw in some carpet scraps on top of the chain case for padding Crawl in on your belly - take a piece of thick foam rubber for a head rest The pick up tube is behind the hydro motor - right side Use needle nose pliers,,,maybe vise grips and a flat bar Tube with bullet plug came out easily & reinstall was reasonably easy In my case the screen on the end of the pick up tube was blocked up....I simply used gas and a tooth brush to clean it. Presto - all is well! Thanks Tazza for your reply.

clintrobbins

For future readers with a 763, access to the fuel pick up tube is awkward but not that bad. 2 bolts to Lift the cab Throw in some carpet scraps on top of the chain case for padding Crawl in on your belly - take a piece of thick foam rubber for a head rest The pick up tube is behind the hydro motor - right side Use needle nose pliers,,,maybe vise grips and a flat bar Tube with bullet plug came out easily & reinstall was reasonably easy In my case the screen on the end of the pick up tube was blocked up....I simply used gas and a tooth brush to clean it. Presto - all is well! Thanks Tazza for your reply.
It sounds like the supply line on the 763 is the same or similar to my 773G - if so, I found that raising the lift arms and working from the side is much easier than crawling in from the front. What's the secret to pushing the grommet back into the tank? I applied fuel to the grommet but still found it very hard to push in. I finally made some wood sticks (~5/8" square for the fitting and ~5/8" square with a notch for the grommet) and the right length to pry against the tops with a large screwdriver.

Tazza

Staff member
It sounds like the supply line on the 763 is the same or similar to my 773G - if so, I found that raising the lift arms and working from the side is much easier than crawling in from the front. What's the secret to pushing the grommet back into the tank? I applied fuel to the grommet but still found it very hard to push in. I finally made some wood sticks (~5/8" square for the fitting and ~5/8" square with a notch for the grommet) and the right length to pry against the tops with a large screwdriver.
I found wiggling side to side worked for me. Worst case, i have used a screw driver too. Get one side down, then push the part thats not down with the screwdriver, then twist back and forth while pushing down, it eventually seats.

OP
OP
J

Jake

Clint, No secret - Pushing the pickup tube plug back in was not a problem for me on my 763 - sorry - that does not help you. If the 773G pickup plug is like the 763 fuel drain plug then I know exactly what you are dealing with! It is a bear even with direct access!