763 BICS - Where is the module grounded?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Aloha! I have a 763 over here in Hawaii working generally very well though, she's old. I do have a new problem however: The BICS controller module "power" light is now not coming on (or any of the lights on the module) so.... no functions, no movement. Engine starts, and the instrument gauges work.
First, I carefully checked all fuses including the BICS one. All are good. Then I checked the hot post of the fuse holder that serves the BICS with a meter. Voltage good when ignition key on.
So now I am thinking, maybe the BICS module has lost its ground. Does anyone know how to check this? Or does anyone know precisely where or how the module is grounded?

I would really appreciate guidance on solving this. Love the machine and, in particular, using it! Thanks team!

Tazza

Staff member
It should be a pin to the controller, if you look at the harness, the black wires should be ground. Pretty sure there won't be just one either, there are multiple grounds.

If you can confirm you are getting power to the bocs box, you can crack it open to ensure it's not something obvious inside like a bad connection. I have dismantled one before and put it back together.

OP
OP
B
Aloha Tazza,
I was able to confirm that the black ground wire is grounded. Thanks. So tried cleaning and reseating the BICS cable into the BICS controller module. Having trouble reseating it however. Glad to say, I can get full function and all 5 green lights activated and machine function restored only momentarily by holding the cable hard into the module by hand. Unfrortunately if I take my hand off the cable the cable eventually loses some ot the connections. Pushing it in just right restored the function but not practical to hold cable while operating.
I read in the 763 service manual you should hear a "click" when you mate the cable to the module but I hear no click. Can you explain exactly how the two fasten together and "click". Some joining piece may be missing on this machine or broke off when I unplugged it perhaps?
If so can you suggest a good repair method?
Many thanks.

gearbox

On the Boss system I have in the shop I had to put a little dielectric grease on the plug seal then it seated properly

OP
OP
B
Thanks. I will give that a try at my next attempt.
FYI, I have the cable jack held into the BICS module as far as it seems able to readily travel using cable ties to secure it and hold in good alignment. With this ties system, the BICS has resumed working normally which was a major breakthrough and big relief. The BICS module seems sound. However, it seems a bit too jury-rigged to rely on cable ties long term. I read that there was supposed to some sort of "click" heard or felt as cable mated with the BICS module when properly attached. Does anyone know more about the "click" and what exactly feature holds the cable jack to the module beyond just the pin friction?
Mahalo and Thanks!